- 2013 Cadillac XTS: The all-new, built-in-Oshawa XTS is the newest addition to the Cadillac sedan lineup. It will arrive in the spring of 2012 and will be the flagship of the Cadillac brand. The XTS is the first Cadillac with CUE, a comprehensive in-vehicle controller that manages information and media systems.
- 2013 Cadillac ATS: The all-new ATS is Cadillac’s compact luxury sports sedan intended to challenge the likes of the BMW 3-Series. Developed on an all-new, lightweight vehicle architecture, the ATS goes on sale this summer.
- 2013 Buick Encore: Buick will have a new small crossover when the 2013 Encore arrives in about a year. Encore will offer contemporary styling, signature QuietTuning technology, and a host of features and amenities customers expect from Buicks today.
- 2012 Kia Rio sedan: The all-new Rio sedan offers an unparalleled blend of world-class design, safety, quality, technology, class-leading 138 horsepower and fuel economy ratings of 6.6 and 4.9 litres/100 km (city and highway).
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL 550: The next-generation SL 550 is all new. Mercedes says it has agile, sporty handling and a highly rigid all-aluminum body shell, not to mention unmatched ride comfort, a luxurious interior and a host of ground-breaking new innovations.
- 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML 63 AMG: Mercedes says the ML 63 AMG sets new “benchmarks” for performance, exclusivity and efficiency in its segment. Of course. The engine here is a 5.5-litre V-8 biturbo. Handling is assisted by the Active Curve System. Mercedes says it provides “active roll stabilization.”
- Smart ebike: This one is all about “green.” The Smart ebike offers “straightforward operation, a low weight, excellent ergonomics and a practical stowage space concept” and all that contributes “to making the Smart ebike a fun to ride, intelligent mobility solution.”
- 2012 Toyota Prius: The world’s best-selling hybrid has been refreshed for 2012. The Prius delivers 66 per cent fewer smog-forming emissions than the average new vehicle.
- 2013 Scion FR-S: Scion has a low-slung sports car. FR-S stands for front-engine, rear-wheel drive sport. The car itself is a high-performance sports coupe with what Scion says is “exceptionally balanced performance and handling, compelling style, flexible utility and surprising fuel economy.”
- 2012 Prius PHV: This one is an “environmentally sustainable vehicle that offers exceptional performance, versatility and energy efficiency. The PHV is a plug-in hybrid with a 20-km range that is capable of electric-only speeds up to 100 km/h.
- 2013 Volkswagen Passat CC: All-new for 2013, the Passat CC on the outside has been redesigned front and rear. “Stylish bi-xenon headlamps finish off an aggressive front end, and LED tailamps finish off the rear. Inside, the CC cabin has been refreshed, and now offers elegant seating for five,” says VW.
Ahh, the 2012 Canadian International AutoShow’s ECO-DRIVE showcase. You’ll find it on the 700 level of the south Metro Toronto Convention Centre. The plan is to show visitors what will help auto makers meet Canada and the U.S. fleet-average fuel consumption rules of 6.67 litres/100 km by the 2016 model year and 4.3 litres/100 km by 2025.
The showcase includes electrically-driven vehicles, from hybrids of different types – plug-ins, extended-range electrics and pure battery-electric vehicles – to cleaner diesels. Here is where you will also get insights into how auto makers are rethinking their designs and nurturing fuel-saving technologies such as direct fuel-injection, turbocharging and variable valve control. Beyond the engine, car companies are developing multi-speed or continuously-variable transmissions, regenerative braking and automatic stop-start systems to save fuel and reduce emissions.
Experts will be on hand to discuss these vehicles and technologies.
Advanced Conventional Technology Vehicles:
- BMW 3-Series
- Fiat 500
- Ford Edge
- Mazda3 SKYACTIV
- Mazda CX-5 SKYACTIV
- Subaru Impreza
- Auto Start-Stop:
- Buick Regal e-Assist
- Mercedes-Benz CLS 63 AMG
Battery Electric Vehicles:
- Ford Transit Connect Electric
- Mitsubishi – iMiEV
- Nissan Leaf
- Smart fortwo Electric Drive
- Tesla Roadster (part of Clipper Creek exhibit)
- Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Clean Diesel
Extended Range Hybrid:
- Chevrolet Volt
- Fisker Karma
- Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid
- Gasoline Hybrid:
- Honda CR-Z
- Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- Kia Optima Hybrid
- Porsche Panamera Hybrid