Sales sweeteners? Deals? You bet. Rich money is in the game and Canadians are taking it off the table.
Indeed, Canadians are snapping up new vehicles at an all-time pace. A big reason why: transaction prices are being salted with cash incentives or rebates averaging $3,723 this month, reports the pricing service www.unhaggle.com.
Unhaggle CEO Andrew Tai points out that this month's incentives are more than $1,000 fatter on average than April 2013, when the average was $2,627. Not only are the dollar values higher, more vehicles are being moved along with rebates and incentives. This month 1,188 different vehicle trims wear cash rebates, versus 866 in April.
This makes sense. As Halloween approaches, dealers and their manufactures are getting a little spooked at the level of 2013 vehicles sitting around on lots, unsold. "By late summer and early fall, most dealerships are already very well stocked with 2014 models and remaining 2013 inventory becomes a liability," says Tai.
One standout deal is on the 2013 Nissan Tundra full-size pickup. A $51,783 Titan Crew Cab with all-wheel drive is wearing a $13,000 factory incentive, $5,750 of which can be combined with 0.0 per cent financing for 84 months.
Like the Titan, Toyota's Tundra is also caught in the crossfire as the Detroit auto makers shoot it out in a pickup truck war that shows no sign of abating. Detroit's auto makers are throwing thousands of dollars at their pickups, thus it's no surprise a 2013 Tundra is available with up to $8,000 in cash incentives – plus whatever dealer rebate a buyer can negotiate. In Toyota's case, an updated 2014 Tundra means added incentive for Toyota to move along 2013s.
A surprise rebate is the $2,500 factory-to-customer offer on the new 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander. The Outlander has just been given a major overhaul and is a highly competitive compact crossover. The factory deal on the Outlander is evidence of the crazy competition for buyers in the compact crossover/SUV segment. You will find similar offers on many of the best-sellers here, including a $2,500 factory rebate on the 2013 Honda CR-V.
Finally, a $3,000 offer from General Motors Canada puts an added shine on the made-in-Canada Chevrolet Camaro coupe muscle car. That factory offer can be combined with 2.99 per cent financing for up to 84 months.
Deals of the Week consulted with www.unhaggle.com, www.carcostcanada.com, and other sources on these offers. As usual, pricing information here is subject to change and dealer discounts vary, so consult your dealer for all the final details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2013 Nissan Titan 4WD Crew Cab SWB SL
- MSRP: $51,783
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,830
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,000
- Factory discount: $13,000 (Nissan Non-stackable Trading Dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $38,613
- Total price with 13% HST: $43,632.69
- 0% financing for 84 months can be combined with $5,750 incentive
2013 Toyota Tundra 4WD Crewmax 146" 5.7L Platinum
- MSRP: $52,050
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,790
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,100
- Taxable subtotal: $51,740
- Total price with 13% HST: $58,466.20
- Factory discount: $8,000 (Toyota Cash Incentive factory-to-customer rebate)
- Final price: $50,466.20
- 0.0% financing for 60 months can be combined with cash discount of $1,000
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander 4WD ES
- MSRP: $27,998
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,550
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,100
- Factory discount: $2,500 (Mitsubishi Cash Program factory-to-customer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $25,948
- Total price with 13% HST: $29,321.24
- 0.0% financing for 60 months cannot be combined with factory rebate
2013 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2LT
- MSRP: $34,390
- Freight, PDI, AC tax: $1,650
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,500
- Factory discount: $3,000 (GM Stackable Cash factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $31,540
- Total price with 13% HST: $35,640.20
- $3,000 factory incentive can be combined with 2.99% financing for up to 84 months
Pricing information source: www.unhaggle.com and www.carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Where noted, "dealer discounts" are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis. Unhaggle Savings are actual discounts received by Unhaggle customers.