June was a blockbuster sales month for a long list of car companies in Canada, though the Japanese brands led the way with the biggest gains – and, as it turns out, some of the very richest deals.
July promises to be even better for consumers looking to save money. Lexus, for instance, saw June sales jump 48.4 per cent, but with $5,000 in sweeteners on the outgoing 2012 ES 350 sedan, Lexus may post even higher gains in July. Ditto for Toyota, where sales were up 68.1 per cent and stand to go higher still, now that there's a $1,000 sales incentive on both the Camry and Camry Hybrid sedans.
Or how about Acura? Up 33.3 per cent in June, and poised for much of the same in July. Acura is making a huge push with the MDX this month, throwing big bucks into the cargo bay for buyers keen on busting out with a discounted luxury SUV. The $6,000 in non-stackable trading dollars can be combined with another $1,500 in stackable trading dollars. So that's $7,500 in discounts on the table for cash buyers.
Meanwhile, existing leaseholders qualify for $1,000 in the form of a loyalty bonus. Customers renewing their lease are eligible for a 0.25 per cent rate reduction on a lease rate that is already a low 0.5 per cent for up to four years. Whether you lease or pay cash for a new MDX, Acura has a deal for you.
Hyundai is surely feeling the heat, with its sales up a modest 2.4 per cent in June, while its Kia sibling brand – and arch-rival – saw sales jump 10 per cent. So along comes a deal on the Sonata midsize car that should not be overlooked: up to $5,000 is cash discounts that can be combined with 2.9 per cent financing for up to 84 months.
Meanwhile, Mazda's sales were up 3.4 per cent last month, which was better than the overall Canadian light vehicle market – a market that grew by 2.8 per cent year-over-year. Mazda won't sell boatloads of the Mazdaspeed3 street-legal racer, but up to $3,500 in discounts should attract the attention of die-hard enthusiasts.
As the month rolls along, look for Detroit-based auto makers to get into the discounting game in a richer way. Ford, for instance, saw its June sales slide 8.7 per cent, while General Motors was down 18 per cent. Chrysler was up a paltry 0.5 per cent. With Asian rivals in deal-making mode, the Detroiters will surely follow suit.
As for the Europeans, Mercedes-Benz had a grand June (up 8.9 per cent) and one reason why is a list of rich offers. BMW's sales were down 6.4 per cent, and the auto maker is now in danger of falling out of the race to win the luxury sales crown in Canada. BMW surely won't go down without a fight that will put money into buyers' pockets. Stay tuned for better, more generous German deals.
As usual, Deals of the Week obtained pricing information from www.carcostcanada.com, among other sources. Consult your dealer for all the details. In the meantime, here are the numbers.
2012 Hyundai Sonata GL Auto
- MSRP: $24,299
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,665
- Dealer discount (estimated): $900
- Factory discount: $4,000 (stackable credit factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $21,064
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $23,802.32
- Factory discount: $1,000 (loyalty/conquest rebate factory-to-dealer rebate)
- 2.9 per cent financing for 84 months
2012 Lexus ES350
- MSRP: $42,150
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,667
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,900
- Taxable subtotal: $41,917
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $47,366.21
- Factory discount: $5,000 (non-stackable trading dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Final price: $42,366.21
2012 Acura MDX AWD
- MSRP: $52,690
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $2,045
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,000
- Factory discount: $1,500 (trading dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $51,235
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $57,895.55
- Factory discount: $6,000 (non-stackable trading dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- MSRP: $29,940
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,895
- Dealer discount (estimated): $900
- Factory discount: $4,000 (Mazda retail cash factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $27,935
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $31,566.35
- Factory discount: $500 (grad award factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Final price: $31,066.35
Pricing information source: www.carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Dealer discounts are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis.