The sporty crossover-coupe represents one of the great automotive design disasters of the 21st century. (So far, at least, but the century is still young).
Acura has discontinued its ill-conceived ZDX, while BMW's 5-Series GT (Grand Turismo) has never been a style setter, despite BMW's grand hopes. Sales? Disappointing, if you believe reports. Still, BMW officials say the 5-Series GT has been a better fit with Canadian and U.S. consumers than the 5-Series wagon. They are perfectly satisfied with the sales numbers.
Perhaps. The number that interests Deals of the Week, however, is $10,000. That is, you should be able to deal for up to $10,000 in discounts on the $70,400 5-Series GT with a six-cylinder engine. (Deals did not find great offers on another BMW crossover-coupe, the X6, even though reports say sales have been a little on the sad side.)
Then there's the 2013 Infiniti FX37, which has been renamed the QX70 for 2014. As a driving machine, this crossover is lightening on four wheels and it has a mouth-watering design presence. But like other sporty crossover-coupes, rear-seat ingress and egress is not ideal for everyone. Rear-seat headroom is also a little tight. Ditto for cargo room. And rear visibility could be better. These functional issues have dampened interest in crossover-coupes. The deals are there to fix that problem.
In reality, most will love driving the FX37/QX70. And to make the sharp shopper even happier, factory discounts in the $7,000-$8,000 range are perfectly attainable.
As the newest millennium unfolds, the sales and discounting numbers suggest that auto companies will re-think the future of this sort of crossover rig. Acura has already. This begs the question: When BMW reinvents the X6 in the next year, what will the Bavarians do to boost sales and interest? What will Infiniti do to the FX/QX70 for the remake expected in early 2016, or sooner?
If you have no interest in a crossover-coupe, Deals noted fat offers on the Kia Optima Hybrid (perhaps $7,000 or more) and the Dodge Ram pickup ($8,500, for instance, on a $52,195 Ram Crew Cab). The Optima Hybrid discounts take the before-tax price below $30,000. Noteworthy.
Deals of the Week consulted with www.unhaggle.com, www.carcostcanada.com, and other sources on these offers. As usual, pricing information here is subject to change and dealer discounts vary, so consult your dealer for all the final details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2014 Ram 1500 4WD Crew Cab 140.5" Laramie
- MSRP: $52,195
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,795
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,500
- Factory discount: $8,500 (Chrysler Consumer Cash Discount factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $42,990
- Total price with 13% HST: $48,578.70
- 4.29% financing with $8,500 rebate for 84 months
2013 Kia Optima Hybrid Premium Sedan
- MSRP: $35,995
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,555
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,000
- Factory discount: $5,600 (Kia Prime Rate Credit factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Factory discount: $1,000 (Kia Lease/Loan Credit factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $29,950
- Total price with 13% HST: $33,843.50
- 0.0% financing for 60 months can be combined with cash discount of $2,000
2013 Infiniti FX37 Limited Edition AWD
- MSRP: $61,500
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $2,095
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,400
- Factory discount: $5,000 (Infiniti Non-stackable Merchandising Dollars factory-to-dealer rebate cash purchases only)
- Factory discount: $1,000 (Infiniti Crossover Bonus Cash factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $55,195
- Total price with 13% HST: $62,370.35
- 2.90% financing for 60 months cannot be combined with the $5,000 rebate
2013 BMW 535i xDrive Gran Turismo AWDT
- MSRP: $70,400
- Freight, PDI, AC tax: $2,195
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,800
- Factory discount: $8,000 (BMW Alternate Cash Back factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $61,795
- Total price with 13% HST: $69,828.35
- $6,000 factory incentive can be combined with 2.90% financing for up to 60 months
Pricing information source: www.unhaggle.com and www.carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Where noted, "dealer discounts" are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis. Unhaggle Savings are actual discounts received by Unhaggle customers.