The debate about the necessity of winter tires is one that has raged on among drivers for decades. Many previous articles including, this recent one, argue the cost of winter tires is negligible considering the risks of going without them.
Yet, many drivers continue to brave Canadian winters with "all-season" tires in hopes of saving money. What if winter tires were free?
As winter is fast approaching, we've seen several auto makers get creative with their deals this month by offering no-charge winter tires in addition to already attractive rebates and rates.
Here are our favourite deals this week which include several with free winter tires:
2015 Ford Edge
Ford launched its No-Extra-Charge Winter Safety Package program for many of its models in October including the Fiesta, Focus, C-MAX, Fusion, Edge (non-Sport), Explorer, and Escape. The package includes four winter tires with steel wheels and tire pressure monitoring sensors. Additionally, the 2015 Ford Edge also comes with a $2,000 incentive for cash purchasers or zero per cent financing for up to 48 months. Customers also have the option to receive a bonus $1,000 cash rebate on their Ford Edge in lieu of the No-Extra-Charge Winter Safety Package Program .
2015 Ford Edge SEL AWD
- MSRP: $37,099
- Manufacturer incentive: $2,000 plus No-Extra-Charge Winter Safety Package
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,200
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,830
- Cash purchase price before tax: $35,729
- Finance for 48 months at zero per cent for $888 per month including tax, or 60 months at 0.99 per cent for $729 per month including tax
2015 Nissan Versa Note
Nissan launched its No-Charge Winter Tire Package campaign for the Micra, Versa Note, and Sentra in October. This includes four winter tires, an emergency road safety kit and all-season floor mats. For the Versa Note, customers have the option to receive a bonus $400 cash rebate in lieu of the No-Charge Winter Tire Package, which can be combined with a $1,850 incentive for cash purchasers or zero per cent interest financing for 60 months.
2015 Nissan Versa Note 1.6 SL CVT
- MSRP: $19,548
- Manufacturer incentive: $1,850 plus No-Charge Winter Tire Package
- Estimated dealer discount: $300
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,740
- Cash purchase price before tax: $19,138
- Finance for 60 months at zero per cent for $395 per month including tax
2016 Mitsubishi Outlander
Mitsubishi launched its No-Charge Winter Tire Promotion for nearly every vehicle in its model lineup in October. This includes four Yokohama/Dunlop winter tires, steel wheels, tire-pressure monitoring system, and complimentary mounting and balancing. The 2016 Outlander is a particularly noteworthy deal as it comes with a total of $1,500 in incentives for cash purchasers (compared to $1,000 in September). If you are already a Mitsubishi driver, you can also take advantage of an enhanced loyalty rebate of $1,500 (compared to $500 in August).
2016 Mitsubishi Outlander SE AWC
- MSRP: $31,198
- Manufacturer incentive: $1,500 plus No-Charge Winter Tire Promotion
- Loyalty rebate: $1,500 (must own or lease an existing Mitsubishi)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,540
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,840
- Cash purchase price before tax: $28,498
- Finance for 48 months at zero per cent for $706 per month including tax (includes a $1,500 loyalty rebate applied before tax)
2016 Lexus IS 200t
Cash, finance and lease purchasers can now take advantage of a $1,500 incentive applied after-tax on the 2016 Lexus IS 200t. This is the first time this vehicle has had any cash incentive applied all year. In addition, the finance rates for 24 and 36 month terms were both lowered by one per cent in October to 1.9 per cent. Unfortunately, you’ll have to pay for your own winter tires on the IS 200t.
2016 Lexus IS 200t
- MSRP: $39,250
- Manufacturer incentive: $1,500 (applied after-tax)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,185
- Cash purchase price before tax: $38,435
- Finance for 48 months at 2.9 per cent for $964 per month including tax (includes a $1,500 manufacturer incentive applied after-tax)
Andrew Tai is CEO of Unhaggle
Pricing and calculations are based on Ontario customers and subject to availability of inventory. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, incentives, and discounts may vary and are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Dealer discounts are estimates and may be given at the discretion of individual dealers. Consult your local dealership for details.
Like us on Facebook
Add us to your circles
Sign up for our weekly newsletter.