One of every three vehicles sold in Canada today is an SUV or a CUV – sport-utility vehicle or crossover. From that you can conclude that we are witnessing the slow, but steady demise of traditional passenger cars.
This makes sense. The demographic changes taking place in Canada explain the shift from cars to light trucks, says Mike Ricciuto, director of product and corporate strategy at Hyundai Canada.
Still-dominant Baby Boomers are moving to sport-utes and crossovers because of their ease of entry and exit, their functionality and safety and convenience factors. Boomers, for instance, like these rigs because they make it easy to load grandkids; the ride height eliminates the need to bend over, a boon for aching Boomer backs.
Younger buyers like them too. These consumers demand room for their stuff and their friends. Younger buyers tend to be social, connected, and are more interested in passenger and cargo space than the performance characteristics their parents fretted over when they were in their 20s and 30s.
To answer this burgeoning demand, car makers are becoming light truck makers. The sales numbers are staggering, really.
Through the first six months of this year in Canada, Jeep sold more than 30,000 compact SUVs, Ford nearly 25,000, Hyundai more than 20,000, and Toyota almost 20,000. Honda and Nissan also broke through the 15,000 barrier in just six months of sales.
This is a massively competitive segment and that means deals.
To juice interest in its Escape, Ford has is revisiting its summertime Employee Pricing promotion, slashing more than 2,000 off the sticker price. But you can do better on comparable rigs.
Nissan's Rogue is on offer with some $4,200 in combined factory and dealer sales sweeteners and you'll find more than $3,000 in the Honda CR-V. And the deals are not limited to mainstream models. The premium Lexus NX can be had with more than $7,000 in incentives.
Canada: crossover and SUV nation. Look for the price cats in this competitive market.
Deals of the Week consulted with www.unhaggle.com, Car Help Canada, www.carcostcanada.com, and other sources on these offers. As usual, pricing information here is subject to change and dealer discounts vary, so consult your dealer for all the final details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2016 Ford Escape SE 4WD
- MSRP: $28,599
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,825
- Total dealer and factory discount: $2,242 (Includes both factory and dealer discounts based on Ford's Employee Pricing promotion.)
- Taxable subtotal: $28,182
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $31,846.66
- All incentives are available with 3.99 per cent financing for 48 months or 60 months, or a 3.99 per cent lease rate for 48 months.
2015 Lexus NX 300h 4WD SUV
- MSRP: $50,450
- Freight, dealer prep, fees and air conditioning tax: $2,180
- Dealer discount (estimated): $4,441
- Factory discount: $2,655 (manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $45,534
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $51,453.42
- The factory deal is not available with 2.9 per cent financing for 48 months, 3.9 per cent financing for 60 months, or a 2.9 per cent lease rate for 48 months.
2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
- MSRP: $30,148
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,885
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,189
- Factory discount: $3,000 (manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $27,844
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $31,463.72
- A $1,000 factory incentive and all dealer incentives are available with zero per cent financing for 48 months, 1.49 per cent financing for 60 months, 2.49 per cent for 84 months. A 1.49 per cent lease rate for 48 months is available with a $1,000 factory incentive and all dealer incentives.
2015 Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD
- MSRP: $33,890
- Freight, dealer prep, fees and air conditioning tax: $1,830
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,572
- Factory discount: $1,500 (manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $32,648
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $36,892.24
- Dealer discounts are in effect for all lease and finance deals, but the factory discount is not available with 1.49 per cent financing for 48 months, 1.99 per cent for 60 months, 2.99 per cent for 84 months, or a 1.99 per cent lease rate for 48 months, 2.99 per cent for 60 months.
. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Where noted, "dealer discounts" are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis. Unhaggle Savings are actual discounts received by Unhaggle customers.
Like us on Facebook
Add us to your circles
Sign up for our weekly newsletter.