It's odd, really, that a term coined in the 19th century - one referring to a stock market crash precipitated by gold speculators - has come to signify a day of rabid shopping and free-wheeling spending.
But here it is, the day after Americans gorge themselves on Turkey and football: Black Friday. Canadians and Americans now go about digesting a cornucopia of deals on everything from big screen televisions to laptop computer and of course cars.
Not all the car companies in Canada are touting Black Friday deals, but quite a few are. Ford of Canada, for instance has up to an additional $750 in Black Friday discounts in place until Dec. 1. Consumers can combine that cash with up to $9,000 more in incentives, loyalty or conquest bonuses and zero per cent financing for up to 72 months.
General Motors of Canada also has Black Friday discounts of up to $1,000, in addition to many other sales sweeteners. Like Ford, the GM Black Friday bonus money comes off the table after Dec. 1.
Mazda? Black Friday money is in play on outgoing 2014 models. Hyundai? Again, up to $1,000 in extra savings above and beyond the already-in-place discounts – and the extra money goes away after Dec. 1. Even Mercedes-Benz Canada is offering a one per cent rate reduction through Nov. 29.
In real terms, a 2014 Ford Focus SE sedan has four stackable or combinable offers on the table, together which come to $2,750 in total discounts. Plus, most of the cash offers can be had with zero per cent financing or leasing.
Hyundai, meantime, has a total of $3,000 in factory money in play, $1,000 of which is that Black Friday deal. And so on.
The offers in Canada are at least in part an effort to blunt any potential cross-border shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. They also give the manufacturers and their deals something new to tout in a marketplace frothy with incentive offers.
Deals of the Week consulted with www.unhaggle.com, Car Help Canada, www.carcostcanada.com, and other sources on these offers. As usual, pricing information here is subject to change and dealer discounts vary, so consult your dealer for all the final details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2014 Ford Focus SE sedan
- MSRP: $18,799
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,665
- Dealer discount (estimated): $550
- Factory discount: $500 (Black Friday incentive)
- Factory discount: $750 (Winter Safety event or Consumer Cash)
- Factory discount: $1,000 (factory incentive)
- Factory discount: $500 (Swap Your Ride inventive)
- Taxable subtotal: $17,164
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $19,395.32
- All offers except the $1,000 factory incentive can be combined with zero per cent financing for up to 72 months or a zero per cent lease rate for 24, 36, or 48 months.
2015 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 2.0T Automatic
- MSRP: $30,999
- Freight, dealer prep, fees and air conditioning tax: $1,830
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,400
- Factory discount: $3,000 (manufacturer incentive includes a $1,000 Black Friday incentive discount)
- Taxable subtotal: $28,429
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $32,124.77
- A $1,750 factory incentive is available with zero per cent financing for 48 or 60 months or a 3.99 per cent lease rate for 48 months.
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD Crew Cab 153.0” SLE
- MSRP: $43,600
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,830
- Dealer discount (estimated): $3,300
- Factory discount: $3,500 (manufacturer incentive includes Black Friday bonus)
- Factory discount: $750 (loyalty bonus)
- Taxable subtotal: $37,880
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $42,804.40
- All incentives are available with 1.49 per cent financing for 48 months, however total factory incentives reach $4,500 with a 1.9 per cent lease rate for 48 or 60 months.
2015 Mazda Mazda5 Wagon Automatic GST
- MSRP: $23,195
- Freight, PDI, AC tax: $2,030
- Dealer discount (estimated): $685
- Factory discount: $2,000 (manufacturer incentive (Black Friday incentives do not apply to 2015 models; see dealer for offers on 2014s))
- Factory discount: $500 (loyalty bonus)
- Taxable subtotal: $22,040
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $24,905,20
- Incentives are not available with zero per cent financing for 48 or 60 months, or a 1.49 per cent lease rate for 48 months.
. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Where noted, "dealer discounts" are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis. Unhaggle Savings are actual discounts received by Unhaggle customers.
Like us on Facebook
Add us to your circles.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter.