Ford pickup trucks make up seven of the top 10 spots for most frequently stolen vehicles in Canada in 2013, according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
Out of the 72,804 vehicles that were stolen in 2013, the vehicle topping the list isn't one we often see on the roads – the 2007 Ford F-350. The F-350 is a big, rugged pickup truck used for heavy duty jobs.
"The trend of stolen F-series trucks was also seen in Alberta where there was a 50 per cent increase," said IBC Vice President Rick Dubin in a statement. "What's more, for the first time in years, three stolen F-series trucks, intended for export, were seized at the ports of Montreal and Halifax."
Dubin believes the trucks likely received new vehicle identification numbers and were sold to customers, who would have no idea the vehicles were stolen.
IBC reports that luxury vehicles such as those made by Lexus, Audi, BMW and Mercedes were targeted by organized crime. They would have likely been shipped to Africa.
Across Canada auto theft was down eight per cent last year compared with 2012, but it spiked 11 per cent in Alberta.
Dubin adds that last year about 73,000 vehicles were stolen across Canada and recovery rates are very low, but preventing theft can be easy.
"Approximately 20 per cent of all stolen vehicles have keys in them," he said. "Don't leave your car running unattended while letting it warm up or when you go into the coffee shop."
In 2012, the 2000 and 1999 Honda Civic SiR two-door were took the top two spots on the list. Those same two cars ranked No. 2 and 3 in 2011.
Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in Canada:
- Ford F-350 super-duty (SD) AWD pickup, 2007
- Ford F-350 SD AWD pickup, 2006
- Ford F-250 SD AWD pickup, 2007
- Cadillac Escalade four-door, AWD SUV, 2003
- FordF-350 SD AWD pickup, 2005
- Honda Civic two-door coupe, 1999
- Ford F-350 SD AWD pickup, 2004
- Ford F-250 SD AWD pickup, 2006
- Honda Civic SiR two-door, 2000
- Ford F-350 SD AWD pickup, 2003
Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in Ontario:
- Acura RSX Type S two-door, 2003
- BMW X6 four-door AWD SUV, 2009
- Acura RSX Type S two-door, 2002
- Toyota Highlander four-door AWD SUV, 2013
- Toyota 4Runner four-door AWD SUV, 2013
- Plymouth Breeze four-door, 1997
- Acura TL Type S four-door, 2008
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport four-door AWD SUV, 2006
- Toyota Highland four-door AWD SUV, 2012
- Toyota Highlander four-door AWD SUV, 2010
Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in Alberta:
- Ford F-250 SD AWD, 2007
- Ford F-350 SD AWD, 2007
- Ford F-350 SD AWD, 2006
- Ford F-250 SU AWD, 2005
- Ford F-250 SD, 2000
- Ford F-250 SD AWD, 2006
- Plymouth Neon two-door, 1998
- Ford F-350 SD AWD, 2005
- Dodge Stratus four-door, 1997
- Ford F-250 SD AWD, 2004
Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in the Atlantic provinces:
- Jeep Cherokee four-door AWD SUV, 1999
- Acura MDX four-door AWD SUV, 2006
- Toyota 4Runner four-door AWD SUV, 1999
- Dodge Charger V8 four-door AWD, 2006
- Mazda Tribute four-door AWD, 2001
- Chevrolet/GMC Suburban/Yukon XL 1500 four-door, 2005
- Cadillac Deville four-door, 2003
- Nissan Titan four-door, 2005
- Acura TL four-door 2009
- Subaru Legacy wagon AWD, 2006
Like us on Facebook
Add us to your circles
Sign up for our weekly newsletter