Some deals are simple and transparent, others not so much. Here's what we mean.
Nissan Canada has been offering a total of $11,000 in cash incentives on its full-size Titan pickup - $8,000 in the form of a stackable or combinable factory-to-dealer rebate and another $3,000 in a customer rebate for loyal Nissan customers or conquest customers moving from a competitive model to the Titan.
Where has our love for small cars gone? Jeremy Cato on the sales challenges facing the subcompact segment
That's straightforward enough. And given Nissan also has 0.0 per cent financing on the table, well, the Titan is a Deals of the Week buy. That said, keep in mind that manufacturers selling pickups in Canada are throwing around all sorts of generous incentive money, as we've chronicled here in Deals for the past couple of months. Shop around.
Then we have the complicated programs. Case in point: the Kia Soul four-door hatchback. The Soul is priced well enough without sales sweeteners, but the deal gets better and better as the layers get thicker and thicker.
For starters, there is a $2,000 factory-to-dealer rebate on the table and a minimum $500 more in what Kia Canada calls a Winterfest factory-to-customer rebate. I say minimum because buyers have a chance to win a bigger handout - $1,000, $2,500, $5,000 or even $10,000. It's all in the luck of the Winterfest draw.
Here's what you may not know: the Winterfest program has what's called a $250 "dealer participation fee," which is added to the dealer's wholesale price total. Thus, the net value of this for the really tough negotiator is $250.
Oh, and Kia Canada also has a four-month payment deferral program in effect for buyers who opt to finance rather than pay cash. Those who finance are eligible for between $1,350 and $2,000 in the form of a rebate, depending on the type of financing option the buyer chooses. Got all that?
Yes, Soul shoppers have some deal-crunching to do. We've done some of that here, of course. We also have information about a two other fairly clear-cut offers.
As usual, Deals obtained most pricing information from carcostcanada.com, though for this week other sources were also used. Here's a look.
2010 Nissan Titan Crew Cab XE AWD SWB
- MSRP: $39,448
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,610
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,500
- Factory discount: $8,000 (stackable cash, factory to dealer discount)
- Taxable subtotal: $31,558
- Total price with 13% HST: $35,660.54
- Factory discount: $3,000 (Conquest/Loyalty Bonus factory to customer rebate)
- Note: discount can be combined with 0.0 per cent for three years
- Final price: $32,660.54
2010 Lexus HS250h Premium
- MSRP: $39,990
- Freight, dealer prep: $2,050
- Dealer discount: $1,200
- Factory rebate: $5,500 (factory-to-dealer rebate on cash purchases)
- Taxable subtotal: $35,250
- Total price with 13% HST: $39,832.50
2010 Infiniti G37 Coupe Premium RWD
- MSRP: $46,300
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,990
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,000
- Factory discount: $4,000 (non-stackable factory to dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $42,290
- Total price with 13% HST: $47,787.70
2010 Kia Soul manual with AC
- MSRP: $16,795
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,750
- Dealer discount (estimated): $300
- Factory discount: $2,000 (factory to dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $16,245
- Total price with 13% HSTT: $18,356.85
- Factory discount: $500 (Winterfest factory to customer rebate; minimum $500, though dealer participation fee of $250 is added to wholesale price total, Thus, the net value is $250. Buyers have a chance to win $1,000, $2,500, $5,000 or $10,000.)
- Final price: $17,856.85
- Note: Four-month no payment deferral program in effect and if buyer opts for it, there is a factory rebate of between $1,350 and $2,000 depending on the choice of financing.
Correction: Incorrect pricing information was listed for the 2010 Infiniti G37 Coupe Premium RWD. It has been corrected.
Pricing information source: carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Dealer discounts are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis.
Ford's legendary Mustang street racer is ready to rumble again, writes Bob English