This is a great morning for those gutsy investors who own Japanese stocks: the Nikkei soared 3.78 per cent overnight to more than four-year highs.
Other overseas markets were rather subdued, but in Japan, a weaker yen - which helps to support the country's export sector - and hopes for aggressive easing measures from the country's central bank, made for quite a rally. It was the Nikkei's biggest gain in almost a year, and was led mostly by banks and exporters.Report Typo/Error
- BlackBerry Ltd$11.04+0.25(+2.32%)
- BlackBerry Ltd$8.79+0.21(+2.45%)
- S&P/TSX Composite14,984.96+33.08(+0.22%)
- S&P 500 INDEX2,452.51+24.14(+0.99%)
- Dow Jones Industrials21,899.89+196.14(+0.90%)
- Liberty Global PLC$34.39+0.68(+2.02%)
- Time Warner Inc$101.80-0.31(-0.30%)
- Suncor Energy Inc$39.04+0.16(+0.41%)
- Walt Disney Co$102.77+1.60(+1.58%)
- Zynga Inc$3.65+0.05(+1.39%)
- WestJet Airlines Ltd$25.82+0.06(+0.23%)
- Husky Energy Inc$14.18+0.02(+0.14%)
- Updated August 22 4:00 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.