Global stock markets are in retreat this morning, with selling in U.S. stock futures intensifying as a slew of U.S. economic reports were released.
Among them were U.S. jobless claims, which dropped to the lowest level since October 2007 - an indication that the U.S. Federal Reserve may very well start to cut back back on its $85-billion (U.S.) bond-buying program starting next month. The Fed has tied the reduction of stimulus measures to the health of the nation's employment.Report Typo/Error
- S&P 500 INDEX2,430.01-38.10(-1.54%)
- Dow Jones Industrials21,750.73-274.14(-1.24%)
- S&P/TSX Composite15,033.64-48.57(-0.32%)
- SPDR Gold Shares$122.49+0.62(+0.51%)
- Copper High Grade Front Month Futures$2.940.00(0.00%)
- Crude Oil Front Month Futures$46.99-0.10(-0.21%)
- Apple Inc$157.86-3.09(-1.92%)
- BlackBerry Ltd$11.05-0.10(-0.90%)
- Cisco Systems Inc$31.04-1.30(-4.02%)
- Wal Mart Stores Inc$79.70-1.28(-1.58%)
- Suncor Energy Inc$39.58-0.36(-0.90%)
- Updated August 16 8:28 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.