John Hood is president and portfolio manager of J.C. Hood Investment Counsel. His focus is on exchange traded funds and options.
iShares S&P 500 Index Fund CAD-Hedged
I have been bullish on the U.S. recovery throughout the recent volatility, hence the ishares XSP, which is in all of my portfolios. I do, however, also like the BMO Dow Jones Industrial Average hedged ETF , which is BMOs covered call on the Dow. It should mollify some volatility and generate income.
BMO Equal Weight Global Base Metals Hedged to CAD Index ETF
I also like ZMT, which is base metals futures - copper 35%; zinc, nickel and aluminum at about 15-20% each.
Claymore China ETF
CHI and also BMO’s ZCH are China based. Both offer domestic as well as export-oriented companies and I believe that Chinese consumer demand will continue to be high.
Past Picks: Jan. 28, 2011
BMO NASDAQ 100 Hedged to CAD Index ETF
Total return: +11.28%
iShares CDN S&P/TSX 60 Index Fund
Total return: -4.66%
iShares CDN S&P/TSX Capped Energy Index Fund
Total return: -11.74%
Total Return Average: -1.70%
After this recent run up we’ve seen in the markets, I expect a pullback. However, I regard this as a buying opportunity.
See the full interview here
Compiled by Franklin Cameron, BNN Market Call Tonight
3 top stock picks from Toron's Charles Lannon
3 top stock picks from Macquarie's Mike Newton
3 top stock picks from portfolio manager David Baskin
Related content3 top stock picks from technical analyst Bill CarriganReport Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter:
- iShares S&P 500 Index ETF$31.89+0.13(+0.41%)
- BMO Covered Call DJIA Hedged to CAD ETF$24.32+0.05(+0.21%)
- BMO EW GLBL BASE METALS HED TO CAD IDX ETF$13.11+0.13(+1.00%)
- BMO NASDAQ 100 Equity Hedged to CAD Idx ETF$51.97+0.15(+0.29%)
- iShares S&P/TSX 60 Index ETF$24.40+0.09(+0.37%)
- iShares S&P/TSX Capped Energy Index ETF$12.40-0.03(-0.24%)
- Updated January 19 2:30 PM EST. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.