John Hood is president and portfolio manager of J.C. Hood Investment Counsel. His focus is on options and ETFs.
Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF (CAD hedged)
I have been continually bullish on the U.S. markets with an asset mix of 20- to 25-per-cent U.S. stocks.
Vanguard MSCI Emerging Markets Index ETF
I also like Vanguard’s VEE Emerging Markets because of Vanguard’s lower costs but I only allocate 5 to 10 per cent to sectors/emerging markets.
BMO Covered Call Canadian Banks ETF
ZWB offers strong after-tax yields because it adds to the dividend of Canadian banks. Returns, however, are hitched to these banks.
Past picks: Dec. 15, 2012
iShares S&P 500 Index Fund (CAD hedged)
Total return: +16.06 per cent
iShares S&P/TSX 60 Index Fund
Total return: +10.55 per cent
BMO S&P/TSX Equal Weight Global Metals (CAD hedged)
Total return: –10.88 per cent
Total return average: +5.27 per cent
I have been continually bullish on the U.S. markets with about a 20- to 25-per-cent asset allocation. It’s important to remember that we are buying U.S. businesses through ETFs, not the U.S. economy, and that U.S. business is well capitalized and profitable. The S&P 500 was up 15 per cent last year.Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter:
- Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF(CAD-hedged)$43.70+0.01(+0.02%)
- Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets All Cap Index ETF$32.19+0.09(+0.28%)
- BMO Covered Call Canadian Banks ETF$18.27-0.09(-0.49%)
- iShares S&P 500 Index ETF$28.210.00(0.00%)
- iShares S&P/TSX 60 Index ETF$22.48-0.08(-0.35%)
- BMO S&P/TSX EW Gbl Base Metals Hdg to CAD Idx ETF$10.95+0.05(+0.46%)
- Updated July 26 3:40 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.