Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Sponsored report: Rockspring trust seeking Texas real estate

Dallas property is among the Texas targets of Rockspring Capital Texas Real Estate Trust.

Tony Gutierrez/The Associated Press

This research report  was written by Fundamental Research Corp., which has paid The Globe and Mail to distribute its research to our readers. The following text is excerpted from the report:

Rockspring Capital Texas Real Estate Trust will seek to invest in real estate and/or special situation real estate in the major metropolitan areas of Texas. Special situation real estate refers to transactions that do not trade according to market fundamentals due to special circumstances such as near foreclosure, overdue debt, owner needing a quick sale, short-term financing, etc. Special situation real estate is generally acquired below market value.

The trust is managed by Rockspring Capital LLC, which is based in Houston. Rockspring Capital has eight real estate investment funds currently under management, with a combined initial invested capital of $260-million (U.S.).

Story continues below advertisement

Through their prior investments, experience and relationships, management has developed considerable local real estate market knowledge.

Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin, or the "Texas triangle," will be the focus of the investment – we maintain a positive outlook on real estate in these areas.

The fund is not limited to invest in any specific type of real estate investment. Their primary focus will be on raw land that can be developed, and debt secured on real estate assets.

Their primary focus will be on land that can be developed, development ready land and debt secured to real estate assets.

Management estimates that 70 per cent of the funds will be invested in raw land (non-cash flowing) with a three- to five-year time horizon. The remaining 30 per cent management anticipates will be in investments with a potential to generate cash flows in the near-term; these may include debt secured to real estate, and land acquired to be broken up into lots and sold.

Of the 59 properties management has acquired for previous funds, they have exited, or partially exited, 22 with a weighted average annual return of 35.2 per cent.

Research firms paying to have their research distributed here must follow the CFA Institute's ethical guidelines. Please read investment disclaimers contained in the report. For The Globe and Mail's disclaimers, please read here.

Story continues below advertisement

Read the full report here.

Report an error Editorial code of conduct
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to