John DeGoey is vice-president and associate portfolio manager at BBSL. His focus is on personal finance and ETFs.
Vanguard FTSE Canada All Cap Index ETF
Huge diversification into 256 underlying Canadian stocks – while costing only 12 bps.
Vanguard U.S. Total Market Index ETF
Huge diversification into hundreds of American stocks - with no currency hedge and costing only 15 bps.
Vanguard FTSE Developed ex North America Index ETF
Huge diversification into hundreds of non-North American stocks - with no currency hedge and costing only 28 bps.
Past Picks: November 8, 2012
Vanguard FTSE Canadian High Dividend Yield ETF
Total return: +22.21 per cent
Vanguard FTSE Canadian capped REIT ETF
Total return: +1.99 per cent
Vanguard Canadian Short Term Corporate Bond ETF
Total return: +2.64 per cent
Total return average: +8.95 per cent
I reject all forms of prediction-based investing. Instead, I recommend that people use structured, market-based and evidence-based products and strategies. People should buy broadly-diversified investment products that cost little and have low turnover. Then, they should re-balance those periodically, but only when their overall mix is out of line with their targets.
Editor's note: Burgeonvest Bick Securities now goes by the acronym BBSL.
Follow us on Twitter:
- Vanguard FTSE Canada All Cap Index ETF$30.90+0.20(+0.65%)
- Vanguard US Total Market Index ETF$45.04+0.16(+0.36%)
- Vanguard FTSE Developed All Cap Ex US Index ETF$34.35+0.18(+0.53%)
- Vanguard FTSE Canadian High Dividend Yield Idx ETF$32.89+0.11(+0.34%)
- Vanguard Canadian Short-Term Corporate Bd Idx ETF$24.64-0.01(-0.04%)
- Vanguard FTSE Canadian Capped REIT Index ETF$30.18+0.06(+0.20%)
- Updated June 23 3:42 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.