Skip to main content
Welcome to
super saver spring
offer ends april 20
save over $140
save over 85%
per week for 24 weeks
Welcome to
super saver spring
per week
for 24 weeks
// //

Dear Nancy Woods

I have built up a lot of unused RSP contribution room to the tune of $80,000. I have received an inheritance where I now have the funds to contribute. My income is moderate at $60,000. How much should I contribute? Does it make sense to use up all the contribution room at once or just some of it?

Signed Natalie

Story continues below advertisement


Dear Natalie,

The main issue with contributing to an RSP is "how much are you allowed to contribute?"

As long as you are not over-contributing and are staying within your annually established limit, which is determined by a formula against your income, you may put money into your RSP.

The bigger question is when and how much of a deduction from your income should you declare?

If you contribute the total amount of unused RSP room in the amount of $80,000, you should only deduct enough to bring you down to where you pay no income tax.

So in your case, in the simplest terms, you would deduct approximately $48,000. There is the basic personal deduction of approximately $12,000 and thus making it that you pay zero income tax. The remaining $32,000 that you have not deducted will be carried forward to future taxation years when you have income and choose to declare the remainder of the deduction.

Story continues below advertisement

Bottom line is that you can deduct any amount of your contribution from your income that makes the most sense to you. You may instead choose to deduct just enough to bring you to a lower tax bracket, thereby saving some of the deduction for a future high income earning year.

The good thing is, that in the meantime, your contribution can grow and/or earn income within the tax shelter of the RSP tax free.

This is something that I often point out to my clients who have children (going to post-secondary school), who have part-time or summer jobs. Their income gives them an RSP contribution allowance. They probably are in the lowest tax bracket already or not paying any tax. They should still contribute what they can to an RSP and let it grow tax free. Then when they are earning income at a higher level, use the deduction that they made in the past.

This advice is usually after I have made sure that they have a tax free savings account (TFSA) and contributed the maximum to it first.


Nancy Woods is an associate portfolio manager and investment adviser with RBC Dominion Securities Inc. Visit her website or send an email request to You can also send your questions to

Your Globe

Build your personal news feed

  1. Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
  2. Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.

Follow the author of this article:

View more suggestions in Following Read more about following topics and authors
Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies