Press release from Marketwire
Celebrating the Take Our Kids to Work(TM) Generation
On November 5 The Learning Partnership's Flagship Program Celebrates 20 Years of Connecting Students Across Canada to the World of Work Thanks to Founding Sponsor Scotiabank
Tuesday, October 07, 2014
Celebrating the Take Our Kids to Work(TM) Generation07:00 EDT Tuesday, October 07, 2014
TORONTO, ON --(Marketwired - October 07, 2014) - On November 5, 2014, Grade 9 students from across Canada will join the Take Our Kids to Work™ generation, spending a 'day in the life' of someone in the world of work, as millions of Grade 9 students before them have done for 20 years now.
On this day, more than 250,000 students, 18,000 teachers and 75,000 organizations, spanning every province and territory, will be involved in The Learning Partnership's annual Take Our Kids to Work™ day activities, giving them a head-start to their future by exploring career options and connecting them directly with the world of work.
Founded by The Learning Partnership in 1994, this year marks the 20th anniversary of the Take Our Kids to Work™ program, which started as a local GTA initiative.
To celebrate this milestone, The Learning Partnership is presenting a number of new initiatives, including:
- Digital Learning Experiences -- e-learning modules which provide preparatory advice and ongoing support for participating students, parents, educators and workplaces.
- High Profile Job Shadowing -- select students will spend a 'day in the life' of someone in an exciting, high profile career role in various industry sectors across the country.
- Take Our Kids to Work™ Alumni Photo Contest -- The Learning Partnership is searching for program alumni from the past 20 years of Take Our Kids to Work. Through Facebook, former participants can share what they did on their workplace visit, including their Grade 9 photo, for a chance to win a tablet.
- Take Our Kids to Work™ Day falls on the first Wednesday in November every year.
- November 5, 2014 marks a special 20th anniversary milestone for Take Our Kids to Work™.
- Take Our Kids to Work™ was founded by The Learning Partnership in 1994 as a Greater Toronto Area of Ontario initiative.
- Today, more than 250,000 students, 18,000 teachers and 75,000 organizations participate each year, spanning every province and territory in Canada.
- Take Our Kids to Work™ day experiences will be shared using the hashtag #KidsToWork
"We are proud of the growth and evolution of our Take Our Kids to Work™ program over the past 20 years. Since the beginning, Scotiabank's support has been instrumental in engaging millions of students in experiential learning opportunities in workplaces across Canada -- and it is making a difference. The Take Our Kids to Work generation is thinking about career options earlier in their school journey and businesses across Canada are keen and eager to help."
- Akela Peoples
President and CEO, The Learning Partnership
"Scotiabank relies on highly skilled and educated talent and that's why we have been a proud sponsor of Take Our Kids to Work Day for the last 20 years. The program offers students a rare opportunity to experience the working world and a chance to see how their skills can be applied in a future career. We are excited to welcome this year's group of bright young students!"
- Islay McGlynn
Senior Vice President, Employee Experience, Scotiabank
- This year marks the 20th anniversary of @TLPCanada's Take Our #KidsToWork program! Find out more: http://bit.ly/ZC0dh3
- Are you a Take Our #KidsToWork Alumni? Share your experience for a chance to win a tablet from @TLPCanada: http://woobox.com/ftvvbp
- Check out the Take Our #KidsToWork Digital Learning Experiences to get ready for work on Nov. 5! http://bit.ly/1qCVa5l
- Did you know? More than 250,000 students, 18,000 teachers & 75,000 organizations participate in @TLPCanada's Take Our #KidsToWork day!
- Are you participating in @TLPCanada's Take Our #KidsToWork day this year? Tell us your story!
About The Learning Partnership
The Learning Partnership is a national charity dedicated to building stakeholder partnerships to support, promote and advance publicly funded education in Canada. We do this through five key deliverables - innovative student programs, executive leadership for educators, knowledge mobilization and policy, tribute celebrations of excellence and ongoing collaborations across Canada. Since 1993, more than 5.7 million students have participated in The Learning Partnership's programs. For more information on The Learning Partnership, visit www.thelearningpartnership.ca.
Scotiabank is a leading financial services provider in over 55 countries and Canada's most international bank. Through Bright Future, our global philanthropic program, Scotiabank and its employees support causes at a grassroots level across six pillars: health, education, social services, arts and culture, environment and sports. Recognized as a leader for our charitable donations and philanthropic activities, Scotiabank has contributed on average some $50 million annually over the last five years to community causes around the world. Visit us at www.scotiabank.com.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
For The Learning Partnership
Norma Meneguzzi Spall
The Results Group
Media and Communications Specialist