Do USDA Reports Move Commodities Futures Market?
USDA reports are among the most important reports in the agricultural commodities market. To what extent do USDA reports move the futures market? How do traders adjust their trading positions with the release of USDA reports? We talked to Doug Christie, an agribusiness executive, and Olga Isengildina Massa, John B. and Kristi L. Rowsell Professor at Virginia Tech, for a deep dive on this topic.
In this episode, we will go through:
- the accuracy and methodology of USDA reports
- how traders look at USDA reports
- the extent to which USDA reports can surprise the market
- types of commodities that are most affected by the release of USDA reports
- biggest limitation of USDA reports
For more insights on agricultural commodities trading, visit the monthly research series of Hedder.
On the date of publication, Hedder did not have (either directly or indirectly) positions in any of the securities mentioned in this article. All information and data in this article is solely for informational purposes. For more information please view the Barchart Disclosure Policy here.