In Full Bloom
Joel Louzado makes makeup magic with a wearable version of this floral Instagram filter
Joel Louzado (@joellouzado) has always been a visual storyteller. The Toronto-based graphic designer works for Canadian jewellery brand Mejuri, but his artistry and creative eye also extends to makeup. He first delved into the world of beauty right after high school, watching countless online tutorials and practicing on himself before branching out into other creative applications, doing makeup for films and photoshoots on clients and close friends.
Whether his canvas is digital or his own face, he’s always finding ways to bring out the beauty in his work. Take the Flora Instagram filter for example, which looks like a fragmented floral piece of art with blooms bursting from the face. Moody and whimsical, the beautiful filter is enough to inspire anyone’s inner artist. Louzado flexed his creativity and eye for detail by transforming the social media filter into a stunning makeup look using Quo Beauty products from their new line available at Shoppers Drug Mart. Here’s how you can recreate it at home.
Get the look
- Start with a clean, freshly prepped base and draw an outline of the floral pattern using the Quo Beauty Ultra Precision Brow Pencil in Medium Brown. A pencil is more forgiving than liquid and will allow you to quickly correct any errors with ease.
- Fill in the floral outline with Quo Beauty Velvet Kiss Liquid Lipstick in Red Velvet and Pinky Promise using a liner brush for precise application. The liquid lipstick works as a cream paint and lets you add pigment to bring the floral pattern to life. Tip: Use the Quo Beauty Miracle Cover Concealer in Porcelain as a mixing medium to create the shade you need, whether it’s white or a lighter shade.
- Use the Quo Beauty One Stroke Gel Liner in Sea Green to fill in the vines.
- Trace the original pencil outline with the Quo Beauty Liquid Precision Marker in Evergreen and Ultra Violet. Work in small sections to ensure the liquid liner doesn’t dry before you’re done.
- Apply brown eyeshadow around the eye area with a dense eyeshadow brush from the Quo Beauty Eyeshadow Palette in Cherry Bomb. The darker region will create the illusion of the filter where sections are being taken away from the face.
- Create a wash of pastel colours on the other eye using shades from the Quo Beauty Eyeshadow Palette in Star Gazer.
- Mix a bit of Quo Beauty Blush in Antique Rose and Quo Beauty Velvet Kiss Liquid Lipstick in Red Velvet and apply it across your cheeks and nose for a soft, natural-looking flush. Blend the two with your foundation brush.
- Swipe on the Quo Beauty Velvet Kiss Liquid Lipstick in Pinky Promise on the center of the lips and use a finger to matte it out. This will create a base for your lips. Complete the look with a coat of Quo Beauty HD Diamond Gloss in Amethyst for a shiny, multi-dimensional finish.
Once you’ve finished, you’re ready to show off your fanciful floral beauty look. Don’t let the complexity of the filter on Instagram deter you – you don’t need fancy tools or tricks to recreate it IRL. All you need is a little help from quality makeup that won’t break the bank.
Get 5,000 PC Optimum bonus points* when you spend $25 or more (before taxes) on participating Quo Beauty products. Shop Quo Beauty here.
*Spend $25 or more on Quo Beauty products before taxes and after redemptions and all coupons and discounts are deducted in a single transaction to earn the points indicated. Product availability may vary by store. We are not obligated to award points based on errors or misprints. No cash value. Offer valid until October 30, 2020.
More makeup looks
Advertising feature produced by Globe Content Studio. The Globe’s editorial department was not involved.