Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Moving from soccer player to referee, I gained an education in rejection

Facts & Arguments is a daily personal piece submitted by readers. Have a story to tell? See our guidelines at

I have two childhood memories of soccer. One involves rushing ahead on a breakaway to score a thrilling, game-winning goal. The other involves interrupting the excitement of a kid making that exact play because I blew my whistle and called him offside.

The life of a junior soccer referee is a lonely one. No one cheers for you, no one takes pictures and no one points you out as being their son.

At 13 I had played for six years, but there were no local clubs catering to my age group. My friends, forced to retire early, turned their interests elsewhere – usually to girls – but I wasn't quite done with the sport that had taken me from community centre to community centre in the badlands of Winnipeg.

In no time, I was studying a little green book called FIFA Laws of the Game, which was about the thickness of a Driver's Ed manual and probably published by the same company. I learned that I was to be paid a whopping $25 a game, but that I had to buy my own whistle and uniform. They would provide the red cards (the yellow ones, too).

The prospect of handing out those cards frightened me. Should I make the players pick a card as part of a dreadful magic trick? I decided to hand them out normally, but considered writing little notes. On the yellow card it could say, "Son, you are on a one-way path to Palookaville," and on the red card it could read, "Take this card back to hell!" I wanted to create a redemptive blue card for those who had been properly rehabilitated. Too much overhead, though.

At my first game, no matter how much I tried to look like just another spectator, my uniform gave me away. And everyone knew it was my first game. They could tell.

The players lined up and I tried to say something cool like "Keep it clean, boys" or "Let slip the dogs of war," but all that came out was "Okay." I blew the whistle and they kicked off.

Instant panic. The players moved so fast! Much faster than the illustrated ones in the rule book. It occurred to me that I had to start running to keep up with the play; lazily watching from the centre circle was not a viable option.

Nate Kitch for The Globe and Mail

Suddenly, a pass was intercepted and a player rushed ahead on a breakaway. Every parent rose and cheered, louder and louder … until I blew the whistle, stopping everything. He was offside. Anyone could see that. So when a parent yelled something unclear, but undoubtedly awful, at me it was shocking. There was another yell and another, slowly building into a cacophonous stream of anger. I completely forgot what to do, so they yelled some more. I wanted to approach them and explain my reasons for ruining whatever photo was about to be taken, but I merely sauntered back to position, hoping for sympathy from the players, who only looked away in disgust.

Whenever there was a break in play, I ran off the field and leafed through the rule book, desperately hoping to find a clue to why I was attempting this horrible career. A couple of times, I actually brought the book onto the field, holding it at my side with a finger locked in a page.

It was time to make an example and administer a penalty for a tripping offence. I sternly walked up to the perpetrator, reached into my pocket for the yellow card – and dropped both cards on the ground. Bending over to grab them, I muttered, “One of these is for you.”

By the end of the game, I hated soccer. The yelling had evolved into a permanent hum of dissatisfaction. My whistle, soaked with drool, stuck to the corner of my lip like a Cheerio. I yearned to run up to the departing players and say: “You don’t know what you have. Stay on your side of the game.” But I said nothing, and waited alone for my ride.

In the following days, I expected to be banned from soccer fields and stripped of my certificate. When my mother told me the guy from the soccer association was on the phone, I knew it was only to keep me in place until the police arrived.

“Hey Chason, can you work Thursday?”

“What? What about the game?”

“What game?”

“The one I just refereed. It went horribly. Everyone hated me.”

“Who gives a damn? Can you work Thursday?”


The weeks that passed were a parade of parents yelling and players giving me lip, of fans booing and coaches shaking their heads, all of it slowly merging with my low self-esteem. My parents would yell at me at home and then I would go to work to be yelled at by other kids’ parents.

Over time, however, the taunts and screams became like the sound of traffic and I learned to pretty much ignore them. Until one game when a father got so angry at a call that he threw his lawn chair onto the field. It was astonishing. I have been angry before, but never so angry that I was willing to give up my seat. It was only a matter of time before they hanged me from the goal by my whistle string.

And so whenever my boss from the soccer association called, I accepted the work less and less often, and eventually he stopped calling. I was ready to move on – as so many of my friends had done – to girls. A whole new world of rejection awaited me.

Chason Gordon lives in Seattle.

Story continues below advertisement

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We are behind schedule, but we are still working hard to bring you a new commenting system as soon as possible. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to