You can prepare this rice pudding a day ahead. To serve warm, after step #6, heat the rice pudding in a pot with 1/2 cup of cream (or milk). Continue with step #7 and #8.
Servings: 4 to 6
Ready time: 2 hours, 45 minutes (includes 2 hours chilling time)
Prep Time: 15 minutesCooking Time: 30 minutesChilling Time: 2 hoursReady in: 2 hours 45 min
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup Arborio rice (or other short grain rice)
3-1/2 cups milk (homogenized or 2%)
1-1/2 cups of 35% whipping cream
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 orange, zest only
Omit spices and replace with 1 vanilla bean or 2 tablespoons vanilla extract and rum (optional)
4 to 6 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon for dusting
1. In a large pan, bring milk and cream to a boil.
2. Add sugar and rice, and reduce heat to simmer.
3. Stir continuously for 5 minutes to prevent rice from sticking.
4. Next, add ground cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg and cook further 20 minutes, stirring regularly until rice is cooked. Once cooked, the rice should still have a slight bite.
5. Take off the heat, and add orange zest and stir to incorporate.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Covering with plastic wrap prevents a skin from forming on top.
7. Divide equally between glasses (or any other serving vessel of your choice) and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
8. To serve, place a cinnamon stick on an angle in each glass and dust with ground cinnamon.