Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism.
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Get full access to
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24 weeks
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24 weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); } //

Two boys stand awith right-to-die protesters as they demonstrate recently outside the B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver. , recently. The Supreme Court of B.C.

Jeff Vinnick For The Globe and Mail

Click here for the Globe's in-depth End of Life series

Buried in a stack of affidavits filed in a right-to-die case is a remarkable, anonymous document that breaks a deep, long-held family secret about how two chronically ill parents were guided to death.

It is sworn by a 63-year-old social worker from British Columbia who identifies himself only as L.M., because he fears he, his sister and others could face criminal charges for assisting in the deaths.

Story continues below advertisement

The document – one of many that chronicles the shattering emotional journeys endured by those involved in assisted deaths – illustrates a key argument being made in Carter versus the Attorney-General of Canada.

Joseph Arvay, a lawyer representing the B.C. Civil Liberties Association and a group of individuals challenging the Criminal Code, has told court that because it is illegal for physicians to help the chronically ill die, people are forced to help take lives secretly, the way women once sought back-alley abortions.

The case, now before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, is the first constitutional challenge in 18 years to the law that makes doctor-assisted suicide illegal in Canada.

L.M. writes that his family twice went through the ordeal of assisted deaths – first when his father found a physician who was prepared to prescribe illegally a lethal overdose of morphine, and then with his mother, whom he and his sister helped die.

"I have kept my story a secret for many years, only telling a few of my closest friends. I am afraid that if the truth of my situation becomes known … we could all be criminally prosecuted," L.M. states.

In 1996, he got a shocking phone call from his mother, "telling me that my father had seen his doctor and had worked out a plan to end his life within the next few days."

Although his father was chronically ill with lung cancer, the suddenness of the decision stunned him.

Story continues below advertisement

"I reacted badly," he states. "I was very angry … I just could not accept that this was what he was going to do."

But L.M. writes that after a long discussion with his father's doctor, he accepted the decision. His father later died of a morphine overdose. The family agreed to keep secret the role played by the doctor who supplied the drugs and the mother, who was there for the final injection.

A decade later, his mother's turn came. She was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer, adenocystic carcinoma.

"I received a call from my mother from out of the blue. In a very frank and blunt conversation, she told me that she wanted to end her life and wanted my help to do this. This turned into a very tearful conversation," he wrote. "In spite of having been down this road before … somehow I had not prepared for this conversation. ... My feelings were all about grief and loss – about losing my mother, my last parent .... In tears, I told her that I would do everything I could to support her choice and help her with a means to end her life."

But this journey was to prove more difficult, because no physician was willing to provide an overdose of morphine.

L.M. turned to the Internet, and, after a few false starts, ordered a lethal amount of amitriptyline, an anti-depressant.

Story continues below advertisement

"Finally … a small package arrived at the front desk of the assisted living complex. ... You cannot imagine the feelings that washed over me. Elation that I could finally help my mom, but also trepidation and fear," he wrote.

The family took their mother home, drew the blinds, and began to prepare. L.M. wrote that he crushed the amitriptyline pills with a pestle and mortar while his sister pounded them to dust with a hammer.

"Finally, we had all of the pills crushed into a fine powder that we could dissolve in some juice. ... My sister and I then went up to the bedroom with our instruction sheet and all of the drugs. We talked my mom through the steps and she then said 'that we should just get on with it.' She had had enough. ... Mom knocked back each glass … She did not vomit. She had incredible will power.

"My sister and I then sat with her for a while talking with her and holding her hands, crying away as mom slipped into a deep sleep," wrote L.M.

The family gathered in the kitchen and waited for death. At 8 p.m., L.M.'s brother-in-law came downstairs to say he thought she had died.

"We all went up," wrote L.M. " I felt for pulse. I listened for a heartbeat. I used a mirror to check for breath under the nostrils."

Story continues below advertisement

It was finally over.

"I feel privileged and honoured that I was able to help my mom," he wrote. "It was psychologically and physically draining, but I know that I did the right thing. My sister and I agreed that because we could be criminally prosecuted for helping mom, we would keep it a secret. I have lived with the secret ever since."

Your Globe

Build your personal news feed

  1. Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
  2. Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.

Follow the author of this article:

View more suggestions in Following Read more about following topics and authors
Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies