Skip to main content

Andrey Machikhin/Thinkstock

U.S. researchers say they can accurately determine the genome – or genetic blueprint – of a fetus by an alyzing DNA samples from both parents.Their work could pave the way to prenatal screening tests that reduce the need for invasive procedures such as amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling. (In these procedures, a needle or catheter is inserted into the womb to obtain fetal DNA.)

It has long been known that about 10 per cent of the free-floating DNA in the mother's bloodstream comes from the fetus. The remaining 90 per cent, of course, is from mom.

In theory, that means researchers have relatively easy access to fetal genetic material that can be scrutinized for signs of inherited diseases. But the problem is that the free-floating bits of fetal DNA do not provide a complete picture. They are just fragments. What's more, there is no obvious way to distinguish between the fetus's DNA and mom's DNA.

Story continues below advertisement

So researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle set out to reconstruct the complete fetal genome by comparing the DNA fragments to the genomes of the mother and father.

They used a combination of advanced gene sequencing and statistical modelling to determine what parts of the baby's genetic material had been inherited from the mother and what had come from the father.

They also looked for evidence of new mutations that may have that occurred during egg or sperm formation.

"We attempted and mostly succeeded in reconstructing the whole genome sequence of a fetus," said Jay Shendure, the senior author of the study published in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

The process still needs some refinement. But Dr. Shendure thinks this approach can potentially predict if a child has acquired genetic variants linked to a wide range of disorders such as cystic fibrosis, Huntington's disease and sickle-cell anemia.

Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

If your comment doesn't appear immediately it has been sent to a member of our moderation team for review

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading…

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.