As Alberta Premier Rachel Notley sets out to visit Fort McMurray Monday, the misery created by the province's forest fires continues to spread, with medical problems at a reception centre and hundreds temporarily believing they had to flee their homes.
A stomach virus has struck dozens of the Fort McMurray evacuees now being temporarily lodged in Edmonton.
During the weekend, 40 to 50 cases consistent with viral gastroenteritis were reported at the reception facility up at the Expo Centre at Northlands, said Christopher Sikora, the local senior medical officer of health.
Symptoms included nausea and vomiting and the ailment struck both adults and children, Dr. Sikora told reporters.
"This is not unexpected, given the large numbers of people who are using and living at that site," Alberta Health Services said in a statement.
Symptomatic evacuees have been isolated in a separate area.
About 600 people are living in cots at the centre.
The setbacks came on the heels of optimistic news during the weekend, when officials reported that, thanks in part to cooler weather, the wildfire had not grown by as much as they had feared.
Premier Notley will visit Fort McMurray Monday afternoon to assess the damages.
The fire forced more than 80,000 people out of the oil town last week. During the evacuation, two young people, Emily Ryan, the 15-year-old daughter of a Fort McMurray-area deputy fire chief, and her stepbrother's nephew, Aaron Hodgson, died when their SUV collided with a tractor trailer as they neared the safety of Lac La Biche.
"We're thinking about you," fire chief Darby Allen said in a video address to the Ryan family. "I know it's tough but you be good together. You take care of yourself and we'll see you soon."
Meanwhile, hundreds more residents in the Fort McMurray area were asked at one point Monday to leave their homes as a result of the wildfire. The order was later rescinded.
A mandatory evacuation notice was issued for Janvier, a 200-person hamlet located 120 kilometres south of Fort McMurray which is also home to the Chipewyan Prairie Dene First Nation.
Another 20 kilometres further south, the 340 residents of Conklin were placed under a voluntary evacuation notice and had been instructed to prepare to move to Lac La Biche too.
Both evacuation notices were later cancelled by the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
Residents in Janvier and Conklin do not have to leave "at this point in time," the municipality said in a communiqué.