Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism.
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Cancel Anytime
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Canada’s most-awarded
newsroom for a reason
Stay informed for a
lot less, cancel anytime
“Exemplary reporting on
COVID-19” – Herman L
per week
for 24 weeks
Get full access to
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); } //

Police officers stand at the scene after three people were overcome by an unknown substance and died at a mushroom farm in Langley, B.C., on Friday September 5, 2008.

Darryl Dyck/ The Canadian Press

When two paramedics arrived on a Langley, B.C., mushroom farm in 2008, the war-zone-like chaos, the screaming anguish and the dead and grievously injured were well beyond what they expected when they thought they were responding to a drowning accident.

Instead, one of the paramedics told a coroner's jury Monday he'll never get over his inability to help when he and his partner encountered a man near death on the ground and another man hysterically screaming in an unrecognizable language inside a hut as he tried to pull his co-workers from a brown-water pool.

"I think it will stay with us for the rest of our lives," paramedic Matthew Nasseri testified.

Story continues below advertisement

"It was one of the most excruciating experiences of my life."

He told reporters later: "It's very hard to stand there and watch people die."

Vincent Ford, Mr. Nasseri's partner that day, told the inquest just months before they were called to the farm, Mr. Ford had taken a course about gas and confined spaces after two paramedics died in a mine accident.

Mr. Ford said he knew what was happening in Langley was more than a drowning.

"The signs, with so many bodies, so many victims in the shed that told me it was a dangerous situation," he told the jury Monday.

Jurors heard one man went into a shed that day and was overcome by a mix of toxic gases. The others followed to try to help him. Three men were killed and two others were permanently brain injured.

Mr. Ford immediately declared the situation hazardous and he and his partner refused to go inside the hut, but they couldn't explain why to the Vietnamese workers who wanted them to help their friends.

Story continues below advertisement

"There was a strong language barrier," Mr. Ford told the inquest.

The language problem became clear to the inquest when an almost 17-minute 911 call was heard.

"Quickly, you came, hey," a man yelled into the phone. But in his panic, his English was mostly unintelligible.

"I need to know what happened, sir," the male dispatcher said repeatedly.

About seven minutes into the conversation, the man handed the phone over to a woman who could be understood, but she didn't know what happened.

She said someone drowned in a water tank.

Story continues below advertisement

The dispatcher asked the woman what language she spoke, but no interpreter was called in during the conversation.

Because none of the workers spoke English, Mr. Nasseri said they had a difficult time stopping others from trying to rescue their friends.

"We did everything possible to stop them, yelling, screaming, even intimidating them," he told the inquest.

There were no signs near the hut to indicate hazardous gas might be nearby, and no one could tell the paramedics what might have happened.

"You can imagine how hectic," Mr. Ford paused. "It was like a war zone when we got there."

Coroner's lawyer Chris Godwin said in his opening statement that the deaths and injuries might have been averted if the workers had known the risk and the company had put the proper safety procedures in place.

Story continues below advertisement

"Mr. Coroner, this was a tragedy that perhaps could have been prevented," Mr. Godwin said.

While Mr. Nasseri said he knew there was translation service available through the 911 communication system, Mr. Ford didn't know about the service and wasn't sure if they used it that day.

B.C. Federation of Labour president Jim Sinclair is attending the inquest and said it was clear the system wasn't able to deal with people who didn't speak English.

Instead of the usual 90 seconds to dispatch an ambulance, it took five minutes. Firecrews weren't dispatched until the ambulance arrived on the scene, so the ambulance crew could only wait and stop others from entering the shed, the inquest heard.

One of the questions put to witnesses on Monday was about the possibility of having a type of registry for all the confined spaces in the province where toxic gas or lack of oxygen might be present.

Mr. Sinclair said too many people are dying in confined spaces, so such registry only makes sense.

Story continues below advertisement

"If they had that information, then the fire trucks would have been called first, absolutely."

B.C.'s workers compensation board concluded in a report last November that the owners of the mushroom farm had been repeatedly warned that a composting system was potentially dangerous.

The report concluded a deadly combination of flawed design and inadequate safety procedures caused the deadly accident.

The report found the accident happened as workers were attempting to clear a clogged water pipe. A mix of toxic gasses leaked into the small shed they were in.

WorkSafeBC's 61-page investigative report detailed years of failures and ignored warning signs that culminated in the deadly accident.

The site included a compost facility that converted chicken manure, straw, gypsum and water into fertilizer, which was then used on the mushroom farm.

Story continues below advertisement

The water used in the compost process was collected from sources around the farm and was also recycled from the composting system itself.

The report found the problems dated back to 2005 with the construction of the water recycling system, which didn't include measures to keep straw and other materials from entering its tanks and pipes.

Last November, a judge imposed fines of $350,000 on two companies, A1 Mushrooms and HV Truong, and their three owners, who pleaded guilty.

The dead workers were Ut Tran, Jimmy Chan and Ham Pham.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

If you do not see your comment posted immediately, it is being reviewed by the moderation team and may appear shortly, generally within an hour.

We aim to have all comments reviewed in a timely manner.

Comments that violate our community guidelines will not be posted.

UPDATED: Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies