Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Body found as B.C. mushroom pickers’ story becomes clearer

A team leader briefs volunteers at the Terrace Search and Rescue command vehicle off Highway 16, near Princess Lake, on Sept. 29, 2013. The search for Ike Murray, 26, and Michael (Devlin) Sabo, 32, was suspended that night.

Dave Jephson/Courtesy Terrace Search and Rescue

A mushroom picker who disappeared along with a friend more than two weeks ago near Terrace, B.C., has been found dead.

Terrace Search and Rescue located the body of Michael (Devlin) Sabo, 32, early Wednesday morning about six kilometres up Fiddler Creek near the Skeena River, Terrace RCMP Constable Angela Rabut said in a news release.

"Our condolences go out to the Sabo family," she said. "It was very important that we find Devlin to bring closure to this tragic set of events."

Story continues below advertisement

On Monday, CN Rail employees driving a maintenance truck spotted Mr. Sabo's friend, Ike Murray, 26, walking along the tracks near Fiddler Creek. He was transported to hospital, where he spoke with search crews to identify where Mr. Sabo could be found.

According to police, the two men became lost early on the first day of their ordeal, on Sept. 22. They hunkered down in an area that was not covered by the massive week-long search that followed, after which the pair made the decision to hike out.

"Devlin soon lost strength to continue," Constable Rabut said in the news release. "Ike stayed with Devlin [until] his death then managed to hike for two more days and finally hit the railroad tracks where he was shortly discovered by CN maintenance workers."

Terrace Search and Rescue leader Dave Jephson said while he is glad the discovery will result in some closure, he admitted the search efforts have taken an emotional toll.

"We had to support a very, very difficult decision on Sept. 29 to end the official search. That obviously takes its toll because, you know, did you make the right decision?" he said.

"The second time around, [we felt] it was achievable. We knew that he had to be out there. Ike said he was out there. That meant he was there. That increased the need to have closure."

The coroner and the Terrace Forensic Identification Unit attended the area where Mr. Sabo's body was located. The matter has now been turned over to the coroner.

Story continues below advertisement

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author
News reporter

Based in Vancouver, Andrea Woo is a general assignment reporter with a focus on multimedia journalism. More


The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

We’ve made some technical updates to our commenting software. If you are experiencing any issues posting comments, simply log out and log back in.

Discussion loading… ✨