Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Company plans to rebuild Prince George sawmill destroyed by blast

President of Sinclar Group Forest Products Ltd. Greg Stewart.

John Lehmann/The Globe and Mail

A sawmill destroyed by a deadly blast in Prince George, B.C., last year will be rebuilt.

The Sinclar Group Forest Products company says final design plans haven't been completed, but it intends to rebuilt the Lakeland Mill, with construction expected to begin this spring.

Sinclar President Greg Stewart says he can't give details of the size and capacity of the plant yet, but he wanted to let the community know the company is going ahead with the project, which should be complete by the summer of next year.

Story continues below advertisement

The company says mill will incorporate the most advanced safety protocols to ensure a safe work environment.

Two men were killed when an explosion and fire ripped through the mill last April 23, just three months after a similar blast killed two workers at a sawmill in Burns Lake, B.C.

Wood dust has been implicated in the explosions, and the BC Safety Authority issued a report earlier this year recommending sawmills take more action to manage the dust.

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.