Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Family offers $10,000 reward for missing son

Vancouver police canvas the Downtown Eastside for information relating to the disappearance of Matthew Huszar on Dec. 22, 2011.

Simon Hayter For The Globe and Mail/simon hayter The Globe and Mail

One month after Matthew Huszar disappeared, his family has made a poignant plea for information and offered a $10,000 reward to anyone who can lead them to the missing 25-year-old.

"There's been no evidence a crime was committed. No evidence of suicide. No evidence that he disappeared voluntarily. Basically, no evidence of anything," Mr. Huszar's mother, Danny, told reporters at a news conference in Vancouver on Wednesday. "We're very frustrated and frightened by the lack of any information whatsoever."

Mr. Huszar was last seen leaving a pub in the 100-block of Water Street on Dec. 16 following an office Christmas party. Friends say he was not intoxicated and was in a good mood.

Story continues below advertisement

His mother says she spoke with him earlier that day and Mr. Huszar was excited about travelling to Vancouver Island to spend Christmas with his family.

His disappearance is considered completely out of character and Ms. Huszar said at this point anything is a possibility.

"We are really desperate for any information whatsoever that anyone may have," she said. "We just make a plea to the public to help find our son."

Mr. Huszar was born and raised in Lethbridge, Alta.. He graduated from the University of British Columbia last May with a bachelor's degree in geology. His mother said Mr. Huszar called himself a "rockhead" and loved the thrill of gold exploration.

Mr. Huszar was an avid outdoorsman and was restoring a sailboat.

"He had a dream of some day sailing around the world," Ms. Huszar said, her voice breaking.

There have been a number of sightings since Mr. Huszar first vanished, but Vancouver police spokeswoman Constable Jana McGuinness said police have "no further leads and no new information to move this investigation forward on."

Story continues below advertisement

Ms. Huszar, flanked by her husband and one of her two daughters, said the hardest part is the uncertainty.

"It just seems very bizarre that a person can disappear on the streets of Vancouver and nobody has seen or heard anything," she said. "We find that very difficult, just not knowing what happened."

Report an error Editorial code of conduct Licensing Options
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to