- All staff, administrators, faculty and students must sign TWU’s community covenant, which also prohibits drunkenness, the use of pornography and “destructive” communication such as gossip and prejudice.
- Documentary filmmaker Kevin Miller says the university invited him to teach a film-making class last fall, only to revoke the invitation when it learned of his views on hell. (Mr. Miller, whose film Hellbound? explores perspectives on hell, personally believes in a form of “hopeful Universalism” rather than eternal torment.) University president Bob Kuhn confirmed the job never materialized due to Mr. Miller’s views on hell, but said it was never officially offered. The filmmaker has since been asked to be a guest lecturer.
- TWU has four Canada Research Chairs: Eve Stringham, in developmental genetics and disease; Jens Zimmerman in interpretation, religion and culture; Peter Flint in Dead Sea Scrolls studies; and Richard Sawatzky in patient-reported outcomes.
- The university’s main campus is in Langley, B.C., but it also has three others, in Bellingham, Wash., Ottawa, and on Salt Spring Island. A fifth campus is expected to open this year in downtown Richmond.
- Alumni include Ryan Walter, former NHL hockey player and assistant coach with the Vancouver Canucks, and Chuck Strahl, former Conservative cabinet minister and chair of the Security Intelligence Review Committee.
Build your personal news feed
- Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
- Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.