Skip to main content

Sandbags are placed along the shores of Locarno Beach in Vancouver, on Dec. 10, 2014.Jonathan Hayward/The Canadian Press

The widely dreaded king tide that prompted Delta to declare a state of emergency did not deliver the expected damage to the city's shoreline on Wednesday.

Kenneth Turnbull lives behind the sea wall on Beach Grove Road. His house is a few steps from the water and the city dropped off notices at his home Tuesday about what precautions to take in case of flooding. He felt well taken care of.

"We knew that if something happened to our wall they would come right away," he said.

A king tide is an extremely high tide that occurs twice a year (video). House owners along the water expected the worst when a 70-foot (21-metre) section of Delta's sea wall collapsed Tuesday night, hours before the king tide's arrival. Delta Mayor Lois Jackson issued a local state of emergency and city workers installed temporary barriers at the collapse site. On Wednesday, the barriers held back the king tide. Delta's emergency status was cancelled as of 2 p.m.

Mr. Turnbull, who has lived in Delta for 20 years, said city staff come by his house every year and inspect the wall structure to make sure it is sound. For him, this storm does not compare to the floods of 2006, when waves breached the sea wall and caused extensive flooding.

"The waves were two or three feet high and we had some water up near the beach near our retaining wall," Mr. Turnbull said.

In Vancouver, city workers filled 30,000 sandbags Tuesday to prepare for the tide. Nearby residents said they were happy to see the city taking precautions even though the water on Vancouver's beaches did not rise enough to affect homes.

Lynn Fels and Martin Elliot live in West Point Grey and walk along Locarno beach every week. They didn't see the waves they were expecting but were grateful for the sandbags nonetheless.

"I'm really glad to see it, I feel safer," said Mr. Elliot, standing at the water's edge at Locarno. They also wanted to make sure the tide hadn't reached the boat they keep at Jericho Beach. Their boat was not affected but the wharf was flooded and blocked off by the city.

"It's astounding to see the water right over the wharf. It just shows how things can be so gentle and then … turn suddenly," Ms. Fels said.

Delta residents will remain on watch for the next few days, but most feel the worst is over for now.

Despite the occasional flood and storm warnings, Mr. Turnbull plans to stay on Beach Grove. "We love it. We're very fortunate," he said.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the town of Courtenay was still in a local state of emergency after a windstorm caused power outages for thousands and flooding forced road closings in low-lying areas.