Skip to main content

Randall Hopley is lead out of the Cranbrook Provincial court September 14, 2011.John Lehmann/The Globe and Mail

Originally charged with a dozen offences related to property crimes in Alberta, Randall Hopley now faces just two streamlined charges, a Provincial Court was told Thursday.

The 46-year-old Sparwood, B.C., man now faces one count of break and enter and one count of possession of stolen property over $5,000, which have been waived for processing in British Columbia, where Mr. Hopley is also facing serious charges in connection with last year's disappearance of three-year-old Kienan Hebert.

The Alberta charges, which had originally included 10 counts of possession of stolen property under $5,000, predate the toddler's September, 2011, kidnapping from his Sparwood home.

The Alberta case will be heard on June 11 in Cranbrook where Mr. Hopley is expected to enter guilty pleas, according to Alberta Justice spokesman Josh Stewart.

"It is important to note that this is not a deal or reduction of the charges," Mr. Stewart said, "In fact, the possession of stolen property over $5,000 is a more serious charge than a number of possession of stolen property under $5,000 charges."

If the proceedings on the Alberta charges are concluded as expected in B.C., there will be no reason for the case to proceed here. However, if he fails to enter guilty pleas, the case will return to Lethbridge, Alta., on June 15, Mr. Stewart said.

Mr. Hopley, who is charged with abduction, kidnapping and break and enter in connection with Kienan's bizarre disappearance, is expected to be in court via video in Cranbrook on Monday to enter pleas on that matter. He has already been found fit to stand trial and asked that his case be heard by a judge alone in the B.C. Supreme Court.