Skip to main content

An exhibit from the Pickton trial, a poster board of 48 missing women shown to Pickton during the 11 hours interview on day after he was arrested. Names of those identified in court: #1 Sereena Abotsway; #3 Andrea Joesbury; #4 Mona Wilson; #17 Georgina Papin; #26 Marnie Frey; #48 Brenda Wolfe outside the BC Supreme Court in New Westminster January 30, 2007 on the seven day of the trial for accused serial killer Robert PicktonJOHN LEHMANN/The Globe and Mail

Feb. 14, 1991: First annual women's day memorial march is organized to press for police investigation into the disappearances of women from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

1995: Sudden increase in number of missing women.

1998: Another sudden increase. Vancouver police review files of missing women going back to 1971, say they do not believe a serial killer is behind the disappearances.

April, 1999: Vancouver Police Board posts $100,000 reward for information on missing women.

2000: Vancouver police scale back investigation into disappearances.

2001: Another spike in the number of missing women.

Feb. 5, 2002: RCMP in Port Coquitlam search Pickton property for firearms. Media report that police had found personal items belonging to some missing women.

Feb. 6, 2002: Joint task force of Vancouver police and RCMP seal off property and begin searching for clues.

Feb. 7, 2002: Robert (Willy) Pickton charged with weapons offence.

Feb. 22, 2002: Mr. Pickton is charged with two counts of first-degree murder. In the years following, more charges are laid.

June 6, 2002: Police bring in heavy equipment and archeologists to assist in excavation of Pickton properties.

Jan. 13, 2003: Preliminary hearing begins to determine whether evidence is sufficient to warrant a trial.

July 23, 2003: Preliminary hearing ends with case being sent to trial.

November, 2003: The 21-month excavation at Pickton farm ends.

March 10, 2004: B.C.'s health officer says he cannot rule out possibility that human remains were in hamburger meat processed at the Pickton farm.

Oct. 6, 2004: Revised list of women missing from Downtown Eastside includes 69 names.

May 25, 2005: More charges are announced against Mr. Pickton; he is now charged with the first-degree murder of 27 women.

Jan. 30, 2006: Trial set to begin in New Westminster. Fifteen years after organizing their first rally, organizers plan a women's memorial march outside the courthouse.

Jan. 22, 2007: Mr. Pickton's trial begins. Crown and defence lawyers present 129 witnesses, and 1.3 million pages of documents are generated.

Dec. 9, 2007: The jury finds Mr. Pickton guilty of six counts of second-degree murder.

Dec. 11, 2007: The judge sentences Mr. Pickton to life imprisonment with no chance of parole for 25 years. He appeals his conviction.

June 25, 2009: The B.C. Court of Appeal rejects the appeal.

July 30, 2010: The Supreme Court of Canada upholds his conviction.

Today: Mr. Pickton is held in the maximum-security Kent Institution, 120 kilometres east of Vancouver. As his sentence dates from the day of his arrest on Feb. 22, 2002, he can apply for day parole and unescorted absences on Feb. 22, 2024, and for full parole on Feb. 22, 2027. However, he will not automatically receive parole.

Interact with The Globe