Skip to main content

Photographs of missing women are displayed as Commissioner Wally Oppal speaks during the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry public forum in Vancouver, B.C., on Wednesday January 19, 2011.

Darryl Dyck/ The Globe and Mail/Darryl Dyck/ The Globe and Mail

The British Columbia government has rejected a recommendation to fund groups representing sex workers, aboriginals and residents of Vancouver's troubled Downtown Eastside in the forthcoming public inquiry into the Robert Pickton case.

Former attorney-general Wally Oppal, who is heading the inquiry, recommended 13 participants receive government funding to cover the legal costs of appearing at the hearings, but the province has approved public money only for the families of Mr. Pickton's victims.

That leaves a dozen other participants - including a coalition of sex-worker groups, several aboriginal organizations and advocates working in the blighted neighbourhood that Mr. Pickton turned into his hunting grounds - without funding to cover their legal costs.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Oppal admits the province's decision presents a challenge to his inquiry, but he said other steps are being taken to secure legal representation, such as finding lawyers willing to work for free.

"There are some concerns, but part of my job is to ensure that all people who have anything relevant to say will be heard," Mr. Oppal said in an interview Tuesday.

"So the fact that they don't have funding doesn't mean that they won't be heard."

Mr. Oppal has asked that the inquiry's lawyer meet with the groups denied funding to see what can be done.

The province launched the inquiry to determine why Mr. Pickton was able to continue killing for so long as the Vancouver police and the RCMP struggled - and failed - to determine why so many women were disappearing from the Downtown Eastside and who was responsible.

Mr. Pickton was arrested in 2002 and eventually convicted of six counts of second-degree murder, for which he is serving a life sentence. The remains or DNA of 33 women were found on his farm in Port Coquitlam, and he boasted to police that he killed as many as 49.

Mr. Oppal will also conduct a study commission into broader issues of missing and murdered women in the province, a series of less formal hearings that will allow witnesses to talk about their experiences without the court-like procedures and cross-examinations of the judicial inquiry.

Story continues below advertisement

Several of the groups that were granted participant status at the hearings, but denied government funding, issued statements Tuesday criticizing the government's decision.

David Eby, executive director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, called the funding decision "unprecedented."

"There are lawyers on the government's side representing everyone from the RCMP to the VPD to the criminal justice branch, who are basically saying that there were no problems or if there were problems, they've been fixed - and they've all got full government funding," Mr. Eby said in an interview.

"And on the other side of the equation, anyone who would question that or suggest the government would do more or that the problems are persisting or would critique the Attorney-General or police agencies, they're not getting funded at all."

Attorney-General Barry Penner wasn't immediately available for comment, but in a news release last week his ministry said the funding decision was "consistent with past practice."

During the public inquiry into the death of Robert Dziekanski, the Polish immigrant who died at Vancouver's airport after he was repeatedly stunned with an RCMP taser, the province covered the legal fees of his mother, Zofia Cisowski.

Story continues below advertisement

But at another high-profile inquiry, examining the death of Frank Paul in the custody of Vancouver police, Mr. Eby noted several advocacy groups - including his own - received government money.

"This is the first time we've ever seen a commissioner's recommendations for funding be ignored," said Mr. Eby.

"The commissioner says, 'I want to hear from sex-trade workers, I want to hear from aboriginal groups,' and the government has said no."

Several groups that were denied funding planned to hold a news conference Wednesday to pressure the province to reverse course.

Tracy Porteous of the Ending Violence Association of B.C. said the decision only adds to the criticisms that have overshadowed the inquiry since it was announced.

"This is a disastrous decision," Ms. Porteous said in an news release. "Being a provincial organization, we would bring a strong substantive provincewide lens specializing in violence against women to this inquiry, a perspective the commission said they are looking for. But we can't do it without resources."

Story continues below advertisement

Critics have already complained the inquiry's terms of reference are too limited, focusing only on the police investigation and failing to examine the underlying issues surrounding sex work and poverty. Some have also opposed Mr. Oppal's appointment, suggesting the former attorney-general can't be an impartial critic of government.

The Canadian Press

Report an error
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • All comments will be reviewed by one or more moderators before being posted to the site. This should only take a few moments.
  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed. Commenters who repeatedly violate community guidelines may be suspended, causing them to temporarily lose their ability to engage with comments.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Cannabis pro newsletter