Skip to main content

Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, B.C.

Handout

The family of a British Columbia university executive who died suddenly last month says his death was caused by an accidental overdose.

Relatives of Christopher Seguin say in a statement that the 39-year-old man was taken to hospital following an overdose in his hotel room in Victoria and died on Sept. 22.

Seguin was vice-president of advancement at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops.

Story continues below advertisement

In an internal email to staff obtained by the media after Seguin was hospitalized, the university's vice-chancellor said the family passed on a message that Seguin was critically ill and not expected to survive.

The family's most recent statement says the cause of death doesn't diminish him as a loving husband and father, and as a cherished son, brother and friend.

Seguin, who was born in Pinawa, Man., leaves a wife and two young sons.

"Christopher's passion and the boundless energy which he used to help improve the lives of others are the stories that deserve our focus," the statement said.

A celebration of Seguin's life will be held in Kamloops on Saturday.

Seguin was a graduate of Kamloops High School and played varsity football at Simon Fraser University, where he earned a bachelor's degree in linguistics.

He focused his graduate work on international studies.

Story continues below advertisement

Seguin held a number of positions at Simon Fraser, including cultural liaison in the school's international education department and advancement officer for athletics.

Thompson Rivers says he returned to Kamloops in 2007 and helped the university set "fundraising records virtually every year of the last decade, generating millions of dollars for student awards, groundbreaking research and major buildings."

Editor’s Note: An earlier version reported the university issued a statement saying Seguin was hospitalized with a critical illness.
Report an error
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

If your comment doesn't appear immediately it has been sent to a member of our moderation team for review

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.