A fire destroyed a seniors residence in L’Isle-Verte, Que., and police early Thursday said three people were confirmed dead and 30 missing. Here is a look at some previous fatal fires involving retirement and nursing homes in Canada.
- 1969 Dec 2 – 38 died in a fire at Le Repos du Vieillard in Notre-Dame-du-Lac, about 160 kilometres northeast of Quebec City.
- 1948 Feb 10 – 35 died in a fire at the Hull Nursing Home in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- 1980 Jul 14 – 25 died in a fire at the Extendicare Nursing Home in Mississauga.
- 1976 Dec 26 – 21 died in a fire at a nursing home in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- 2009 Jan 19 – 4 people died in a fire at Muskoka Heights Retirement Home in Orillia.
Compiled by Rick CashReport Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter: