Skip to main content

Abousfian Abdelrazik, left, smiles before getting into a waiting car after returning to Canada at Pearson International Airport in Toronto on Saturday.Nathan Denette

Smiling broadly and flashing a peace sign, Abousfian Abdelrazik has been reunited with his son and stepdaughter in Montreal.

After spending the past six years stranded in Sudan, he said it's great to be home.

Mr. Abdelrazik arrived back in Canada Saturday, landing in Toronto where he was met by cheering supporters at Pearson Airport.

"I'm very glad to come back home," he said in a brief statement after getting off the airplane. "I am proud to be a citizen of this nation."

Before continuing on to Montreal, where he arrived around midnight, he thanked supporters for making his homecoming possible.

Mr. Abdelrazik had the same message for the approximately 40 supporters who greeted him in Montreal.

The 47-year old was arrested during a 2003 visit to Sudan to see his ill mother.

He was accused of having ties to terrorists, but was never charged.

Mr. Abdelrazik claims he was tortured before Sudanese authorities eventually released him.

The RCMP investigated and found no evidence linking him to criminal activities.

But it was not until the Federal Court of Canada ordered the Harper government to issue him a passport that he was finally cleared to come home.

He spent his last 14-months in Sudan at the Canadian embassy in Khartoum.

As for the future, Mr. Abdelrazik says he wants to relax with his family, get to know them again, and readjust to life in Canada.

His lawyers will go to court on July 7 to try to get his name removed from the United Nations no-fly list.

Mr. Abdelrazik says CSIS and American FBI officers interrogated him over alleged terrorist links and also claims he was tortured.

Canada says it knew nothing of the alleged abuse.

His lawyer, Yavar Hameed, boarded a flight Wednesday to bring his client home.

A document recently posted on the UN Security Council terrorist blacklist website claims Mr. Abdelrazik has been closely tied to senior al-Qaeda leadership.

It alleges Mr. Abdelrazik has close ties to Osama bin Laden's former lieutenant, who recruited and ran al-Qaeda's network of training camps in Afghanistan.

The document further asserts Mr. Abdelrazik trained at a paramilitary camp in Afghanistan with other al-Qaeda operatives, and provided administrative and logistical support to the terrorist network.

"(Abdelrazik) was a member of a cell in Montreal, Canada, whose members met in al-Qaeda's Khalden training camp in Afghanistan," it says.

None of the allegations are new. It is already known that Mr. Abdelrazik was added to the UN list in summer 2006 after the United States branded him a supporter of al-Qaeda - the Federal Court found no supporting evidence for this claim.

A UN terror watch listing freezes that person's assets and forbids anyone inside or outside the country from providing funds to them.

That didn't stop scores of Canadians from chipping in to buy Mr. Abdelrazik an airline ticket earlier this year.

But his passport had expired and he could not leave Sudan without one.

In April, Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon reneged on a promise to issue Mr. Abdelrazik an emergency passport if he could get a plane ticket.

Federal Court Justice Russel Zinn ruled that the government violated Mr. Abdelrazik's Charter right to enter Canada by failing to justify its decision to deny him a temporary travel document.