Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Accused leader of human trafficking ring released on bail

Human trafficking suspects, clockwise from top left: Attila Kolompar, 35; Gizella Domotor, 42; Gyula Domotor, 32; Gizella Kolompar, 41; Lajos Domotor, 42.

The Hamilton man accused of leading a large human trafficking ring was released on $50,000 bail Wednesday, while his wife, son and another family member remained in custody pending court hearings.

Meanwhile, police are still hunting five others wanted in the alleged scheme. Investigators haven't been able to find them at their homes, but suspect they are still in the Hamilton area.

Police say Ferenc Domotor Sr., 48, was at the head of an international ring that recruited men in the town of Papa in western Hungary, promising them well-paid jobs in Canada. Instead, the men were forced to work for free for construction companies owned by Mr. Domotor's family, RCMP allege.

Story continues below advertisement

Two weeks ago, investigators obtained warrants for 10 people accused of taking part in the organization. For several days, they were unable to track down any of the accused.

They eventually arrested Mr. Domotor at his home. His wife, Gyongyi Kolompar, 40, and son Ferenc Domotor Jr., 20, turned themselves in two days later. Ferenc Karadi, 47, was arrested when he attended court on a different charge.

Police are still looking for Gyula Domotor, 32, Lajos Domotor, 42, Attila Kolompar, 35, Gizella Kolompar, 41, and Gizella Domotor, 42. All are wanted on charges of human trafficking and fraud. The tenth suspect, Zsanett Karadi, 24, has been charged with theft and will appear in court next month.

The accused are members of the same family, and police said they played various roles in the organization, ranging from co-ordinating with associates in Hungary to recruit the workers to overseeing the men after they arrived in Canada.

"They have different roles in recruiting and bringing and having control over [the workers]" said RCMP Sergeant Marc Laporte. "Some of them had roles in transporting them to work sites and back."

The charges mark the largest case since Canada enacted human trafficking laws five years ago. Nineteen alleged victims have come forward.

The allegations have not yet been tested in court.

Story continues below advertisement

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author
Washington correspondent

Adrian Morrow covers U.S. politics from Washington, D.C. Previously he was The Globe's Ontario politics reporter. He's covered news, crime and sports for The Globe since 2010. He won the National Newspaper Award for politics reporting in 2016. More

Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.