Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism.
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Get full access to
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24 weeks
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24 weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); } //

The inside of the prison where Ashley Smith was held, in Kitchener, Ont. is shown on Oct. 19, 2007 in an court exibit photo released by the court on Jan. 21, 2013.

D-Cst. D. Buckley, Handout/The Canadian Press

Just hours after a drugged teen arrived at the prison in which she would die, she trashed the sprinkler head in her segregation cell, causing a roar of water, and tried to strangle herself, a coroner's inquest heard Tuesday.

Blaine Phibbs, a correctional officer, testified he first saw Ashley Smith tie a ligature around her neck within 12 hours of her arrival.

He wasn't sure whether it was sheet or towel or how she got it, he said.

Story continues below advertisement

After that, Mr. Phibbs said, she would try to choke herself seven or eight times a day "on a bad day" – until she eventually used up all the ligatures she had hidden in a body cavity.

"That's when her behaviour got more positive," Mr. Phibbs said.

Ms. Smith needed support walking when she first arrived at Grand Valley Institution in Kitchener, Ont., in May 2007, and was immediately placed in an isolation cell.

It was one of her many transfers in the last year of her life.

"She appeared sedated. She was moving slower. She wasn't very talkative," Mr. Phibbs told the inquest into her death.

Ms. Smith's management plan called for her to be placed in segregation in a security gown with a security blanket and security pad. She was placed on 15-minute watch.

Soon after, however, she damaged the sprinkler head in her cell, causing flooding.

Story continues below advertisement

"She took it apart. She smashed it," Mr. Phibbs said.

"The noise was so loud."

The correctional officer also told jurors that Ms. Smith was inadvertently let out of her cell twice, when her door was opened by remote.

Jurors watched part of a lengthy video of one of the occasions, after Ms. Smith retrieved items from outside the cell before retreating back inside.

On Monday, jurors saw video of the frantic last-ditch efforts to save Ms. Smith, 19, of Moncton, N.B., who had tied a ligature around her neck and died in front of guards on Oct. 19, 2007.

Earlier Tuesday, the correctional officer who took the video testified about the shock he felt at finding himself at a police station under arrest, stripped of his shoes and facing charges in the tragic death.

Story continues below advertisement

Rudy Burnett said he felt as if he had been criminally convicted, even though he believed he had done nothing wrong.

"It was not a very nice situation. I was under a lot of stress. I was very agitated," he said.

The calm, soft-spoken Mr. Burnett, who now works at a halfway house for men, also testified about the difficulties of being a guard in the prison system.

Among other things, he said, he had witnessed serious assaults.

"It's very traumatic," he told coroner's court. "Over the years, you do sort of get desensitized."

He said he relied on family and church to help him keep a sense of himself.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Burnett, who was charged with criminal negligence and failing to provide the necessaries of life in Ms. Smith's death, was grilled about his reluctance to give police the names of the other guards present at her death.

His lawyer had advised him to say as little as possible, coroner's court heard.

Asked if prison guards were like a "fraternity" and he was trying to protect the others, Mr. Burnett said a fraternity conjured up an image of college hijinx.

"I really don't consider it a fraternity," he said. "More like a brotherhood."

Charges against Mr. Burnett, who had been pressed into videotaping the choking death of Smith in her cell in Kitchener, Ont., five years ago, were dropped.

He insisted he was just doing the job he was given and following orders to videotape.

Story continues below advertisement

In a perfect world, Mr. Burnett testified earlier, he would intervene to try to save a life but in the correctional world, it's a different story.

"If an order is given to me and I don't agree with it, there's a grievance procedure," he said at one point Tuesday.

Outside court, Smith family lawyer Julian Falconer said he had little sympathy for the guards who failed to save the teen's life.

"Human beings are human beings; good people do bad things," Mr. Falconer said. "On that day, a group of guards did bad things."

The inquest continues Wednesday.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies