Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Get full access to
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24 weeks
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24 weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); }

Charlie Hamilton went down to the basement to fetch a piece of airplane.

He returned with a battered bit of fibreglass. He blew dust off before holding it aloft. It stretched as long as his own 6-foot-2 wingspan.

The scrap carried on it the designation "N58856."

Story continues below advertisement

It came with a story.

Mr. Hamilton, 77, once owned half of the B.C.-Yukon Air Service, for which he worked as a bush pilot based out of Watson Lake near the border between the province and the territory. "We flew miners and prospectors in the summer, the odd trapper in winter," he said.

Back in the winter of '63, he was piloting a two-seat Piper PA-18, known as a Super Cub, on a flight to the Diamond J ranch in the Kechika River Valley. The spread was owned by John Ogilvie Davidson, a famed guide and mountain man known as Skook, a shortened form of the Chinook word skookum, meaning strong.

You had to be strong to survive in such isolated country, where only a handful of humans lived in an expanse of rivers and mountains.

While flying over a meadow, Mr. Hamilton could make out the letters SOS stamped into the snow. He then spotted a woman in a makeshift tent. He waggled the plane's wings to indicate he would return.

He flew on 15 kilometres to a cabin where he alerted two aboriginal trappers. They returned on foot to the crash site midway up a mountain.

It was a sunny day and unseasonably warm with the temperature hovering around freezing.

Story continues below advertisement

They found two people in rough condition. Ralph Flores, a 42-year-old pilot from California, had a broken jaw and a broken rib. Helen Klaben, his 21-year-old passenger from Brooklyn, had a broken arm and a broken right foot. Both were strikingly thin. He had a scraggly, unkempt beard.

Lost in a snowstorm and flying low to get bearings, Mr. Flores had crashed into the side of the mountain. Both were knocked unconscious by the impact. Miss Klaben awoke first, after about 30 minutes. The pilot came to after eight hours. They took stock of their precarious circumstance.

The temperature outside was 45 degrees below zero.

The only tools on board were a chisel and a hammer.

Their food supply consisted of two tins of sardines, two cans of fruit, one box of crackers. They also had two tubes of toothpaste.

In the coming days, they would count more than 40 aircraft flying near the crash site. All missed them because of their position up the mountain. Some planes flying along the valley were even lower than their own elevation.

Story continues below advertisement

Days passed. Then a week. The temperature remained below freezing.

The pilot was a convert to Mormonism. He took the crash as a test of faith. He read aloud from the Bible, tried to persuade his Jewish passenger to convert.

One week became two.

A second week turned into a third week.

They tried snaring rabbits without success.

Their last meal was toothpaste. Their diet consisted of melted snow.

Story continues below advertisement

"Water for breakfast, water for lunch and water for supper," Miss Klaben said.

A fourth week passed.

Then a fifth. And a sixth.

"I didn't mind dying," she said. "I was eager to die because of the pain. The hunger and the sleep deprivation was terrible. But I didn't want to die with my mother not knowing where I was."

The pilot's faith never wavered.

He used a chunk of the fuselage as a toboggan and he fashioned homemade snowshoes from bark and branches, stamping out a three-letter distress signal.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Hamilton spotted this from the air 49 days after the crash.

When he arrived, Miss Klaben grabbed him to give him a kiss. "I was jumping up and down even though I had a gangrenous foot," she said. She would lose all the toes on her right foot.

Mr. Hamilton carried her from the crash site on his back. Plump by her own description, the "crash diet" left her weighing less than 45 kilograms. Mr. Hamilton was accustomed to toting that much moose meat when hunting.

Still, it was a tough slog.

"The snow was three- to five-feet deep," he recalled. "I must have fallen 40 or 50 times. I had to fall on my face. I couldn't fall on her."

After each stumble, he would tramp the snow to give himself a footing, before again placing Miss Klaben on his back to continue the downhill trek.

Story continues below advertisement

Word of the rescue was front-page news around the world.

A photograph of Miss Klaben appeared on the front cover of Life magazine.

Mr. Hamilton and his wife, Marion, were flown to New York, where they visited Miss Klaben in hospital before appearing on Garry Moore's I've Got a Secret television show. The panelists quickly guessed the bush pilot's identity, as it was all people talked about.

Miss Klaben's grateful mother presented her rescuer with an engraved watch.

Mr. Hamilton had always wanted to fly. As a boy, he carved Spitfire models from pine and yellow cedar. But he eventually sold his interest in the airline, becoming a salmon fisherman on the west coast of Vancouver Island. He retired to Esquimalt some years ago. He has not seen the woman he rescued since visiting her in a Manhattan hospital.

The two lost touch over the years. Neither knew where the other lived.

Until yesterday, that is, which was the 45th anniversary of their unlikely meeting.

The 21-year-old "girl survivor" is now 66 and living in California under her married name.

Helen Klaben Kahn finished her education at Columbia University before becoming a book editor. She married a securities analyst, raised two sons (one an inventor, the other a doctor), and wrote a book about her ordeal titled, Hey, I'm Alive. This was turned into a made-for-TV movie with Ed Asner as the pilot and Sally Struthers as the passenger.

The author is considering a sequel to be titled, Hey, I'm Still Alive.

She makes presentations to school children and community groups about surviving in subzero temperatures without food. "I put my toes across the threshold of death and came back to tell the story," she said.

She and Mr. Flores maintained a father-daughter relationship until his death a decade ago. After his passing, three of his children made a pilgrimage to the crash site in northern British Columbia between Aeroplane Lake and the confluence of the Gataga and Kechika Rivers.

They later had the wreck winched off the mountainside. It is now in a Missouri warehouse awaiting restoration.

On the telephone, the rescued had a request to be delivered to her rescuer. "I'm so appreciative. I love Chuck Hamilton," she said. "Give him a hug and a kiss from me."

Mr. Hamilton told me he preferred more traditional greetings. We shook hands.

He regrets having lost the engraved watch while moose hunting. But he still has a scrap from an airplane once used as a toboggan by desperate people whose time had not yet come.


From the archives

The following story ran on the front page of The Globe and Mail on March 26, 1963. Crash Victims Found

in B.C. After 50 Days

Whitehorse, Y.T. (CP) - A California pilot who, with a 21-year-old girl, survived a wilderness plane crash, starvation and 50 days of bitter weather, last night described how he struck out on homemade snowshoes in an attempt to reach civilization. In two weeks he traveled five miles.

Ralph Flores, 42, of San Bruno, was picked up yesterday in the mountains of Northern British Columbia, five miles from his wrecked plane, after being spotted by the pilot of a supply plane flying through an isolated valley.

Five miles away, near a lean-to of canvas and branches, rescuers found his passenger, Helen Klaben, 21, of Brooklyn, N.Y. They were brought to hospital here by plane.

Resting in hospital, Mr. Flores told how he became lost Feb. 4 in a snowstorm and crashed on a mountainside, how he desperately tried to signal airplanes that just missed the valley and his deep emotion when his Indian rescuers appeared. He had tramped out a big SOS in a clearing. This attracted the attention of Chuck Hamilton of Watson Lake, Y.T. He flew to the cabin of two Indian trappers, Charlie Porter and Louis Boya of the Lower Post area, whose cabin was 10 miles away. They set out at once and reached Mr. Flores Sunday night. They gave him some bread and some moose-meat. Yesterday morning they helped him down the mountain to a rescue plane. Mr. Flores, whose only tools were a chisel and a hammer, said he made the snowshoes from branches, bark and twigs. They were too heavy to be practical but he did use them.

Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies