Skip to main content

Minister of Education Liz Sandals talks during a press conference at Queen's Park in Toronto on Thursday, January 15, 2015. Sandals says those parents who are still opposed to the province's new sex-ed curriculum being taught in public schools this year can pull their kids from class.

Nathan Denette/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Parents in one Toronto community have made good on their threat to keep their children at home on the first day of school to protest the province's new sex-ed curriculum, which they say is not age appropriate.

At Thorncliffe Park, where nearly all of its Grade 1 to 5 students were pulled from class during a protest staged by parents in the spring, almost half of the school's population was absent Tuesday, said a spokesman for the Toronto District School Board.

Complaints from parents have ranged from a lack of consultation with them to not wanting their kids to be taught about same-sex relationships and different gender identities.

Story continues below advertisement

Education Minister Liz Sandals urged parents who are opposed to the curriculum to first talk to teachers and principals because there is "a lot of misinformation" being circulated, but each school board does have a policy on withdrawing students from particular classes.

However, she said, the majority of the feedback she has received has been positive.

"I have never in my life been just stopped on the street by strangers so often (who) said, 'Thank you for doing this. Hang in there. We want this program."'

Premier Kathleen Wynne said in addition to thousands of school council chairs, 70 health organizations and parent groups were consulted in crafting the new curriculum, which had not been updated since 1998.

"This is the most widely consulted upon curriculum in the history of the province," she said Tuesday.

"When we write curriculum...on geography or social studies or mathematics, that kind of consultation does not happen because that's not how curriculum has been historically written in the province. We felt there was a need to have a broader consultation with parents on this curriculum."

Progressive Conservative MPP Monte McNaughton, who has been a staunch opponent of the curriculum, is urging Wynne to shelve the document and start over by consulting parents.

Story continues below advertisement

The party's new leader, Patrick Brown, notably did not broach the issue in his statement marking the first day of school. He said last week he wants to "make sure parents have a say on how much and when."

In the spring Sandals suggested Conservative groups were behind some of the opposition and now there are Conservative candidates campaigning in the federal election on sex-ed opposition.

"If there's one group of people we admit we have not consulted with in a thorough sort of way, it would be federal Conservative candidates, I admit," she said.

Brampton, Ont., Conservative MP Kyle Seeback sent out a mailer to his constituents questioning "the age appropriateness" of the curriculum.

"I was overwhelmed with calls, letters and emails from constituents on this issue," he said in a statement.

"It's my job to be my constituents' voice. I don't tell them what to be concerned about, they tell me what they're concerned about. And they are very concerned about this new curriculum which they were not consulted on."

Story continues below advertisement

Under the changes, Grade 3 students will learn about same-sex relationships, kids in Grades 4 and up will learn more about the dangers of online bullying, while the perils of sexting will come in Grade 7.

Lessons about puberty will move from Grade 5 to Grade 4, while masturbation and "gender expression" are mentioned in the Grade 6 curriculum.

Meanwhile, contract talks continue between the province and elementary teachers, Ontario's Francophone teachers and support workers. Elementary teachers are staging a work-to-rule campaign during which they won't plan fundraising activities or field trips or attend open houses.

Report an error
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • All comments will be reviewed by one or more moderators before being posted to the site. This should only take a few moments.
  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed. Commenters who repeatedly violate community guidelines may be suspended, causing them to temporarily lose their ability to engage with comments.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Cannabis pro newsletter