Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Four ways to save money on consular assistance to Canadians abroad

Zoonar RF/Getty Images

Senior bureaucrats are advising the federal government to consider scaling back the consular assistance it provides to some Canadians abroad.

The suggestions to save money come after a string of recent crises, including one recent 15-month period in which Ottawa helped Canadian citizens – some of whom are seen as maintaining "citizenship of convenience" – in 50 international crises in 36 countries.

Here are some options:

Story continues below advertisement

Residency requirement: The Canadian government could decide to limit consular services to Canadians who have lived abroad for shorter periods of time. For instance, Ottawa could opt to provide assistance only to expatriates who have been away for less than five years, which is the same rule for overseas voting.

Tax status: Ottawa could tie consular assistance to expats' tax status, which is based on residency, a determination that includes whether those living abroad keep homes in Canada, Canadian drivers' licences or Canadian bank accounts.

Passport choice: The government could provide fewer services for dual nationals who choose to travel or live abroad on another country's passport.

Non-resident tax: Observers have previously advocated introducing a new tax for Canadians who have been living overseas for a longer period of time, such as charging $500 for a passport.

With a report from Steven Chase.

Report an error Editorial code of conduct Licensing Options
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles as we switch to a new provider. We are behind schedule, but we are still working hard to bring you a new commenting system as soon as possible. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to