Skip to main content

Corporal Shaun Collins hanged himself after being locked in a military cell.

A judge says the military had several opportunities to prevent or lower the risk of suicide for an Edmonton soldier who hanged himself in a holding cell five years ago.

Cpl. Shaun Collins, 27, killed himself at Canadian Forces Base Edmonton after he was arrested by military police for drunk driving on March 11, 2011.

Provincial court Judge Jody Moher said in a fatality inquiry report released late Friday afternoon that things could have been done to try to save the soldier.

"It is irrefutable that there were a number of potential opportunities to obviate or lessen the likelihood of Shaun Collins committing suicide that evening," she said.

Analysis: Cpl. Shaun Collins did not have to die. This is what went wrong

Moher said no one did a computer search that night on Collins after his arrest.

A search would have found that Collins, a member of the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after he returned from his second tour in Afghanistan in 2010. He had also tried kill himself, or threatened to kill himself, four times and was being transitioned out of the military.

The judge wrote that information on the soldier's mental health was available on a military computer system. But a commissionaire, dispatcher and three military police officers on duty did not do a check and placed him alone in a cell.

"All three MPs readily acknowledge that had they known of Shaun Collins' history of previous suicide attempts and mental health history, Shaun would have been handled entirely differently that evening," Moher said.

In addition, the judge said there were no working cameras in the cell area and cell doors provided a number of ligature points. The report quoted a federal audit that found "the cellblock does not meet any current Canadian standards."

The report detailed how Collins put his shirt through the metal bars of his cell door, wrapped it around his neck, sat down on the floor and hanged himself.

Twenty-two minutes after placing him in the cell, officers found Collins and tried to resuscitate him. Although the military police building was not equipped with an automated external defibrillator, one of the machines was brought in from the trunk of an officer's car. It wasn't working.

Military firefighters later arrived with a defibrillator and were able to get a spontaneous pulse from Collins, said the report.

But he was later declared dead after he arrived at an Edmonton hospital.

A spokesman with Department of National Defence was not immediately available to comment on the report.

Moher said the military participated in the inquiry but "did not fully attorn" to its jurisdiction.

She also said that she can't make recommendations for the military, but reminded all provincial and municipal detention facilities to make sure staff access computer databases and continuously monitor people in custody. She said all holding cells should also be "suicide proof" and defibrillators or similar devices be regularly maintained.

Interact with The Globe