Skip to main content

Justin Bourque is shown in a courtroom sketch in Moncton, N.B. on July 3, 2014.Marc Grandmaison/The Canadian Press

Justin Bourque admits he targeted police officers on the evening in June that he fatally shot three Mounties and injured two others in Moncton using a semi-automatic weapon.

An agreed statement of facts filed with the Court of Queen's Bench says Mr. Bourque used a Poly Technologies Model M305, 308-calibre Winchester semi-automatic rifle in the shootings that happened between 7:18 p.m. and 8:13 p.m. on June 4.

Mr. Bourque pleaded guilty Friday in the Court of Queen's Bench in Moncton to three charges of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

The 24-year-old returns to court Oct. 27 when victim impact statements and presentencing documents will be filed with the court.

The document obtained by The Canadian Press says Mr. Bourque understands that he and the prosecutor may introduce further facts at the sentencing hearing.

Justice David Smith told the court Friday that the Crown has given notice it will seek three consecutive life sentences on the first-degree murder charges, which means Mr. Bourque would not be eligible for parole for 75 years.

Constables Dave Ross, Fabrice Gévaudan and Douglas Larche were killed after responding to a report of a man with firearms in a residential neighbourhood in the northwest area of Moncton.

Constables Eric Dubois and Darlene Goguen were wounded and later released from hospital.

Mr. Bourque was recently found competent and mentally fit to stand trial after undergoing a psychiatric assessment. Details of that assessment have been sealed by the court.

The agreed statement of facts says Mr. Bourque meant to cause the deaths of the three police officers and that "his actions were both planned and deliberate."

It also says he meant to kill Constable Goguen and Constable Dubois and continues: "Justin Christien Bourque specifically targeted the victims because he knew they were police officers."

Constable Gevaudan died from two gunshot wounds to the chest, Constable Ross from a gunshot wound to the head and Constable Larche from a gunshot wound to the head and "left flank," the document says.

It says Constables Goguen and Dubois sustained "significant injuries" as a result of being shot by Mr. Bourque.

Mr. Bourque was arrested following a manhunt that spanned 30 hours and brought the city of 69,000 to a virtual standstill.

Prior to the psychiatric assessment, Victor Bourque provided the court with a two-page affidavit that said his son was ranting against authority just days before the shootings.

He said his son went from living with his parents and six siblings in Moncton to buying a gun, getting kicked out of the house and becoming depressed and paranoid.