Skip to main content

Justice Normand Glaude approaches the bench at the Cornwall Public Inquiry on Monday May 1, 2006 in Cornwall, Ont..Rachele Labrecque

• 1992: A former altar boy alleges he was sexually abused as a child by a Catholic priest and a probation officer. Cornwall police begin investigating a series of sexual-abuse complaints stretching back to the 1950s, chiefly involving people in positions of authority.

• 1993: The local archdiocese, without admitting guilt, agrees to pay the former altar boy $32,000. He signs an agreement saying he won't sue or try to press criminal charges. Cornwall resident Ron Leroux claims he has seen for himself bizarre sex rituals involving robe-clad community leaders and young boys.

• Sept., 1993: Cornwall police officer Perry Dunlop begins looking into the case on his own time and becomes convinced that several high-profile local officials operated a clandestine pedophile ring.

• 1994: The Ontario Provincial Police launch a follow-up investigation.

• Sept. 25, 1997: The OPP announce they are devoting a team of full-time investigators to re-examine the case, codenamed Project Truth. They say the ring was operating for nearly 40 years and they have turned up 18 suspects, including local officials and Roman Catholic priests.

• Jan. 27, 1998: A former Cornwall priest is charged with sexual offences against five boys and young men between 1967 and 1983.

• March, 1999: Police arrest five men, including a former Crown attorney, for allegedly sexually abusing children.

• April, 2000: Police lay sex-related charges against several men as part of the investigation.

• June 7, 2001: Jean-Luc Leblanc pleads guilty to 12 charges relating to attacks on 10 young males, the first (and ultimately only) conviction from the police investigation.

• Aug. 22, 2001: The OPP announces that Project Truth has turned up no evidence to back claims that a pedophile ring operated in Cornwall. In the end, police interviewed more than 670 people and charged 15 people with 114 different offences dating to the 1960s, but said the alleged perpetrators were not part of an organized network.

• Nov. 17, 2004: Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty says a public inquiry will be held into the abuse allegations.

• April, 2005: The Ontario government establishes the Cornwall Public Inquiry, which has a mandate to probe the responses of the justice system and public institutions to allegations of sexual abuse of young people in Cornwall. Mr. Justice Norman Glaude is appointed to lead the inquiry.

• Feb., 2006: The inquiry begins hearing from witnesses.

• June 28, 2007: Mr. Leroux recants his story, telling the inquiry he fabricated a tale of pedophiles who wore robes, burned candles and sexually abused young boys during weekend meetings in the 1950s and early 1960s.

• Sept. 17, 2007: Mr. Dunlop appears at the inquiry but refuses to testify, saying he is willing to go to jail rather than participate in a process in which he says he has little faith. He also says he has become the scapegoat in a "cover-up".

• Nov. 2007: Mr. Dunlop is convicted of civil contempt of court for refusing to give evidence.

• Jan. 18, 2008: The Ontario Court of Appeal rules against an effort by Judge Glaude to expand his mandate.

• Feb. 17, 2008: Mr. Dunlop is arrested at his home in Duncan, B.C., for again failing to testify.

• March 5, 2008: Mr. Dunlop is sentenced to six months in jail.

• Sept. 3, 2008: Mr. Dunlop is sentenced to another 30 days in jail for criminal contempt of court for refusing a court order to appear before the inquiry.

• Oct. 4, 2008: Mr. Dunlop is released from jail after serving both his sentences.

• Oct. 23, 2008: The Ontario government intervenes and sets an end date for the inquiry, ordering that all evidence should be heard by Jan. 31, 2009 and that the report is due on July 31.

• Feb., 2009: The public inquiry ends with closing submissions after four years and some 180 witnesses.

• July 31, 2009: The first report deadline passes and the inquiry is granted an extension.

• Oct. 15, 2009: The second report deadline passes and the inquiry is given another extension.

• Dec. 15, 2009: Judge Glaude issues his final report, which does not reach a firm conclusion about whether or not a pedophile ring was at work in Cornwall. The inquiry heard from some 140 witnesses and cost $53-million.

Source: Globe and Mail archives