Skip to main content

Luka Magnotta arrives at Montreal’s Mirabel Airport.


A lawyer who heard Luka Rocco Magnotta make allegations about being repeatedly abused and forced to have sex with animals says he could be called as a witness at his murder trial.

Romeo Salta, who says he met with Mr. Magnotta several times at his Manhattan office in the winter of 2010-11, told The Canadian Press he was informed of the possibility by the defence team last week.

Mr. Magnotta, 29, is now facing multiple charges, including first-degree murder, in the May slaying and dismemberment of Montreal university student Lin Jun. He has pleaded not guilty to all counts and is due back in court next March.

A day before Mr. Salta was told he might be called to testify, the attorney spoke to a reporter about Mr. Magnotta's assertions that he was frequently abused — physically, emotionally and sexually — by a mysterious acquaintance known as "Manny."

Mr. Salta insisted that Mr. Magnotta gave him his blessing to go public with the disturbing details of the alleged attacks, if he were ever arrested or killed. The lawyer said Mr. Magnotta wanted people to know his side of the story.

But two days after discussing his exchanges with Mr. Magnotta, Mr. Salta indicated he's been told to say no more.

He declined to answer follow-up questions because of a conversation he said he had with Mr. Magnotta's lead defence counsel, Luc Leclair.

"Consequently, I have been advised not to disseminate any further information than what has already been said, especially when it comes to 'Manny,' " Mr. Salta wrote in an email.

Mr. Leclair did not immediately return a message asking about Manny and whether Mr. Salta could be a witness.

Mr. Salta recalled that a frightened Mr. Magnotta first contacted him in December, 2010, or early January, 2011, over concerns police were closing in on him amid a swirl of animal-cruelty accusations.

At the time, animal-rights activists were already publicly accusing Mr. Magnotta of killing kittens in videos posted on the Internet — allegations he denied in a newspaper interview.

The Canadian Press obtained several emails Mr. Salta said he received from Mr. Magnotta over the weeks that followed their first meeting. All are dated from January, 2011, more than a year before Mr. Lin's death.

In one email, Mr. Magnotta said Manny forced him "to have sex with his puppy and numerous cats."

But Mr. Salta said he didn't remember if Mr. Magnotta told him whether he had ever killed kittens.

"I believe he denied intentionally harming any animal," said Mr. Salta, who also met Mr. Magnotta in person three or four times.

"He just kept saying, 'I like animals, I like animals, I like animals — I wouldn't intentionally do anything to hurt an animal.'

"I guess, if anything, he was implying — possibly, I don't know — that he was forced to do it."

But when it came to accusations against Manny, Mr. Salta says Mr. Magnotta was categorical.

In one email dated Jan. 6, 2011, Mr. Magnotta listed 42 abuses allegedly administered by Manny — many in graphic detail. He said he was subjected to bondage and torture.

The porn actor originally from Scarborough, Ont., wrote that Manny "cut me with a knife because I wouldn't kiss his feet" and made him "eat animal parts."

He also alleged in the same email that Manny threatened to have private detectives hunt him down and kill him if he ever disappeared.

Mr. Salta did not provide much information about Manny, except that he believed he was giving money to Mr. Magnotta, who apparently lived in New York City at the time.

The lawyer wasn't even convinced that Manny existed, though he said he had the feeling Mr. Magnotta truly believed the abuses had occurred.

"Whether or not they actually happened is another story," he said, noting how at one point Mr. Magnotta had discolouration near one eye that he blamed on Manny.

Mr. Magnotta also sent Mr. Salta a photo that purportedly shows marks and bruises on his face.

Mr. Salta, who has 30 years experience as a lawyer, said Mr. Magnotta turned down his offers to help him file a complaint against Manny.

Mr. Magnotta wrote in another email that he was considering turning himself in after the animal-cruelty allegations surfaced on the Internet.

He wrote how he would want "protective custody" if he were ever sent to a detention facility, such as New York City's Rikers Island. He even provided Mr. Salta with his mother's phone number, just in case he was arrested.

Police did not have any arrest warrants at the time for Mr. Magnotta. There have been no reports of him being charged with animal abuse. The Toronto police force, however, has confirmed it began investigating Mr. Magnotta in February, 2011, after it received animal-cruelty complaints.

Mr. Salta said Mr. Magnotta asked him to go public with his accusations against Manny if something ever happened to him.

"He wanted the story of his abuse made known if it's at all relevant to anybody," said Mr. Salta, who described Mr. Magnotta as very friendly but someone who showed little emotion.

"He told me that he wanted the authorities, he wanted people, to see what he suffered."

Asked if he thought Mr. Magnotta could come back at him for revealing confidential client information, Mr. Salta said he never technically represented him.

"If he does, he does," he said, before highlighting Mr. Magnotta's prolific presence on the Internet.

"It seems like he's posted enough things that would indicate that he's waiving any kind of confidentiality."

Mr. Salta said he even returned $300 given to him by Mr. Magnotta at their first meeting because he hadn't done any official work for him.

The criminal lawyer, however, wanted to stay in touch with Mr. Magnotta based on the possibility of landing a new, high-profile client.

"I wasn't doing it just for the sake of listening to somebody tell tales," Mr. Salta said.

"In this particular situation, he showed me enough stuff that would possibly make one conclude that there may be an animal-abuse charge coming down the road, in which case he would need a lawyer."