Skip to main content

Canada Marois ready to force construction workers back to jobs

Construction workers picket outside a construction site on the first day of a province-wide strike June 17, 2013 in Montreal.

PAUL CHIASSON/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Quebec Premier Pauline Marois is giving the province's striking construction workers and their bosses until the end of the week to come to an agreement.

If that doesn't happen, she says she'll introduce back-to-work legislation. In the meantime, she has appointed a mediator to help the two sides reach a deal.

"It's always better for the two sides to reach an agreement rather than introduce back-to-work legislation," Ms. Marois said. "We want people to come back to work happy and be productive."

Story continues below advertisement

About 175,000 construction workers in the residential, commercial and industrial sector have been off the job since last Monday. Talks between the unions and an alliance of construction companies broke off past midnight on Sunday after a lengthy weekend negotiation session. The main sticking points include wages, overtime, and labour mobility.

But Ms. Marois said there's reason for optimism after an agreement in principle was reached Monday for the 41,000 people who work on the province's roads.

The construction strike has stalled work on Montreal's two megahospitals, which are among the biggest construction projects in Canada.

The dispute is also causing concern for people waiting to move into new homes and condos. July 1 is Quebec's traditional moving day.

Ms. Marois had hinted last week that she could introduce back-to-work legislation before departing on a work mission to Mexico this Wednesday.

On Monday, she told reporters she wanted to avoid taking that step and would be prepared to wait another work week. But she said she will have to take action if the strike stretches beyond 10 working days.

Yves Ouellet, a spokesman for the construction unions, said he's hopeful a deal can be reached with the help of the mediator before they get forced back to work.

Story continues below advertisement

"We are ready to co-operate to reach an agreement," he said. "At the same time, we will not change our position, one that's shared by our workers and their families."

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter