Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Michael Buble putting career on hold, three-year-old son Noah has cancer

Canadian singer Michael Buble performs at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, B.C., on Thursday June 19, 2014. Buble announced in a Facebook post on Friday that his three-year-old son Noah has been diagnosed with cancer and that he will be putting his career on hold to be with his family.

DARRYL DYCK/The Globe and Mail

The three-year-old son of B.C.-born singer Michael Bublé and actress wife Luisana Lopilato has been diagnosed with cancer.

The couple announced the news in a statement issued Friday, adding that both will suspend their professional work to care for Noah.

"We are devastated about the recent cancer diagnosis of our oldest son Noah who is currently undergoing treatment in the U.S.," Mr. Bublé said. "We have always been very vocal about the importance of family and the love we have for our children. Luisana and I have put our careers on hold in order to devote all our time and attention to helping Noah get well."

Story continues below advertisement

Related: Why Michael Bublé's keeping it old school in a changing music industry

From the archives: Michael Bublé, straight up – the perfect tonic

The singer, who was born in Burnaby, B.C., and owns a home in West Vancouver, was unavailable for an interview on Friday. The couple did not specify the type of cancer that was diagnosed.

Noah was born in August, 2013, just a few months after Mr. Bublé released his album To Be Loved. Having released studio albums every two years since his self-titled major-label debut in 2003, he slowed down after Noah's birth, waiting until last month to release his next record Nobody But Me. His second son, Elias, turns one year old in January.

"I wanted to be a dad," Mr. Bublé told The Globe and Mail in an interview in October. "I wanted to experience what it was to be a parent, you know? … I think some people were a little trepidatious about me taking that time."

Despite fan worry, he said parenthood gave greater "perspective" to his career – when he finally began making music again, he sought new co-writers and took a spin in the producer's chair for the first time. "Little did I know that it'd change how I make a record, see myself, the way that I would say yes to opportunities I would have said no to in my life before," he said.

By putting his career matters on hold, Mr. Bublé is pulling the plug on dozens of obligations worldwide. He was in the midst of an aggressive international publicity tour for his new album scheduled through mid-December, sometimes spending less than a day in a given country.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Bublé was also lined up to host the BRIT Awards at London's O2 Arena in February and the Juno Awards in Ottawa in April. Representatives from both awards shows said Friday they could not comment on the singer's participation at this time.

"As far as I know, everything that he had planned, at least up until the new year, is on hold," said Steve Waxman, vice-president of publicity for Mr. Bublé's label, Warner Music.

Report an error
About the Authors
News reporter

Based in Vancouver, Andrea Woo is a general assignment reporter with a focus on multimedia journalism. More

Josh O’Kane is a reporter with The Globe and Mail's Report on Business. Since joining the paper in 2011, he has told stories from New Brunswick to Nairobi. More

Comments

The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

We’ve made some technical updates to our commenting software. If you are experiencing any issues posting comments, simply log out and log back in.

Discussion loading… ✨