Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Moncton-area sex abuse report delayed after more alleged victims come forward

View of Main St., Moncton.

The Globe and Mail

A former judge says his final report on sexual abuse by Roman Catholic priests in the Moncton, N.B., area will be delayed until at least March because more alleged victims are coming forward.

Michel Bastarache was hired last year by the Archdiocese of Moncton to conduct a reconciliation and compensation process for alleged victims of sexual abuse involving a former priest from Cap-Pele.

The confidential process has since been expanded to hear complaints about any priests from the diocese.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Bastarache says he has already approved payments to about 50 people, ranging from $15,000 to $300,000 each.

The allegations that have been made have not been proven in a court.

The former Supreme Court of Canada justice says about 10 more people have decided to participate in the process including some people who had previously opted to take legal action.

In December, the Moncton diocese removed two priests from any ministry work following allegations of sexual abuse of children.

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.