Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Nova Scotia Mountie killed after stopping to help change motorists’ tire

Rescue vehicles and workers are shown on the scene of a fatal accident near Memramcook, N.B., on Sept.12, 2017.


A Nova Scotia Mountie who worked to educate the public about the need to slow down when driving past emergency vehicles was killed after being struck while helping motorists change a flat tire.

Const. Frank Deschenes, a 12-year RCMP veteran stationed in Amherst, died when a utility van collided with his police car and an SUV shortly after 6 p.m. Tuesday on the Trans-Canada Highway near Memramcook, N.B.

Deschenes had stopped to assist two people in the SUV change a tire, RCMP Cpl. Jullie Rogers-Marsh said Wednesday.

Story continues below advertisement

"It is extremely challenging to describe what it feels like when we lose one of our own," said Asst. Commissioner Brian Brennan.

The officer, a 35-year-old former member of the force's famed Musical Ride who got married this summer, died at the scene. The two people in the SUV were treated for their injuries.

RCMP Const. Frank Deschenes was remembered Wednesday as a 'quality colleague,' dedicated to helping those in need. The Nova Scotia Mountie was killed Tuesday after his cruiser was struck by a utility van in New Brunswick. The Canadian Press

Police say the van's driver was taken into custody after being released from hospital. No charges had been laid as of early Wednesday evening.

Rogers-Marsh couldn't say why the Nova Scotia officer was in New Brunswick at the time, but did confirm that Deschenes was on-duty and in uniform.

Cpl. Darren Galley, who had been Deschenes' supervisor in traffic services in Amherst, said they were involved in initiatives to inform the public about legislation that requires drivers to slow down and move over when emergency vehicles are stopped along the highway.

"I think traffic was his passion," Galley said from Moncton, where he now serves. "He came to work everyday and did a 100 per cent job ... He was always friendly, always a happy, go-lucky guy and he's going to be sadly missed."

Galley said the officer had transferred from Bible Hill, N.S., to Ottawa at one point to become part of the Musical Ride before transferring back to Nova Scotia at the Amherst detachment.

Story continues below advertisement

Deschenes was also a tactical unit member and had won the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal.

Nine years ago, Deschenes was praised for preventing a possible train derailment with just seconds to spare by putting himself in the path of an oncoming train.

Early on Dec. 1, 2008, a car was stuck on railway tracks just south of Brookfield, N.S., after striking a pole and spinning out of control as a CN freight train approached.

Deschenes acted calmly and coolly by crashing his police cruiser into the car, pushing it out of the way just 45 seconds before the train arrived. The RCMP said at the time the officer's selfless actions saved lives by preventing a derailment.

Brennan said the fact that Deschenes had stopped to help change a flat tire spoke to the kind of person he was.

Ralph Goodale, the public safety minister, issued a statement offering condolences to Deschenes' family, friends, and colleagues.

Story continues below advertisement

"The death of a police officer is a stark reminder of the sacrifices and bravery of our police women and men who put themselves in harm's way each and every day to keep Canadians safe and secure," Goodale said.

Brennan said he couldn't provide many details about Tuesday's accident since it is under investigation.

Rogers-Marsh said investigators would have to determine if everyone was in their vehicles at the time of the crash or standing by the vehicles.

Rogers-Marsh said it has been a difficult time for members of the force.

"When our members deal with fatal accidents it's never easy to deal with that. It's certainly very difficult when it's one of your own co-workers or somebody that you might know. Our thoughts go out to the member's family, friends and his co-workers," she said.

The eastbound lanes of the highway were closed for several hours while emergency crews attended the scene. The highway was re-opened Wednesday morning.

With files from Alison Auld in Halifax

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles as we switch to a new provider. We are behind schedule, but we are still working hard to bring you a new commenting system as soon as possible. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to