Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Ottawa readies documents to bring stranded woman home

Ottawa is preparing emergency travel documents to bring home a Toronto woman marooned in Kenya for more than two months, a border agency spokeswoman said Monday.

The Somali-born woman was stuck in Nairobi after she was told her lips did not match her passport photo when she tried to travel home. Canadian consular officials said she was an "impostor," voided her passport and sent the case to Kenyan authorities for prosecution.

As Ms. Mohamud showed various pieces of ID, volunteered fingerprints and garnered the attention of media across the country, the Canadian government maintained their stance that she was not the citizen she claimed to be.

Story continues below advertisement

Canada did, however, foot the $800 bill for the genetic testing which compared Ms. Mohamud's DNA with that of her son.

Tracie LeBlanc, a spokeswoman for the Canada Border Services Agency, said travel documents are being prepared for Ms. Mohamud, but it was too early to confirm whether they included a passport.

Nor could Ms. LeBlanc say when Ms. Mohamud would be arriving back in Canada.

"I don't know at this time (but) I think it's safe to say that the process has begun," she said.

The woman's Toronto lawyer, Raoul Boulakia, had said he would bring a motion Tuesday asking the Federal Court to order the government to issue Ms. Mohamud an emergency passport to repatriate her back to Canada.

He also said he hoped the Canadian government will ask Kenya to drop all charges against Ms. Mohamud, which include using another person's passport and being in Kenya illegally.

The charges were laid as a result of the Canadian government saying Ms. Mohamud was not who her passport said she was.

Story continues below advertisement

Ms. Mohamud, 31, spent a month visiting her mother in Kenya and was on her way back to Canada when an officer stopped her at Nairobi airport May 21, saying she did not look like her four-year-old passport photo.

After spending eight days in jail she was released on bail with no travel documents.

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to